Dinner Discussion

That evening, I clean myself up for the dinner and listen as Sophie plays with her toys and Lapis at my door. She's already eaten and had a bath. She's also about to give a headache with all the noise.

"Can we have a cookie, Papa?", she asks, ending the noise of the toys. I answer her, fixing my tie. "You just had ice cream for dessert. Why do you need more sugar before bed?"

"So I can be awake when you get home."

"No. You're going to be out by then."

I grab my phone and wallet and walk out, stepping over her mess. "Clean up your toys." I march downstairs with my tiny shadows at my heels to the door. "Henry, Sophie should be in bed by 8."

"Yessir."

"No!", says one of the shadows.

"Yes." I crouch down to her level and poke her on the forehead. "Sleep or no brownies when I get back." Sophie puffs her cheeks like a baby.

"Then, I get a cookie," she attempts to negotiate with me for more. I don't have the time, so I let her have her way. "Half."

I march out the door, leaving her in Henry's care.

  I arrive some time earlier than planned. Liam is already here. The human Barbie doll and Captain Migraine have yet to show themselves. I sit on the couch where everyone is talking about nonsense.

  "Sebastian, where is my grandchild?", Mother sips her wine. "At home with the butler, as I left her." She scoffs. "I can't believe you! How are you even a parent?!"

  "Trust me. I've asked myself the same. I don't even know how it started." She rolls her eyes. "He left my sweet baby at home. What if I want to cuddle my grandchild close and tell her stories about you when you were her age?"

I reply, "Then that would officially be the main reason she stays at home."

  "Damien, get your son. He left my baby at home," she mutters to Father as he walks by. He clears his throat. "Is she unsupervised?", he questions. "My baby is at home with the butler and not in my lap." Father, unbothered, shrugs and sits next to his wife.
"We're here~" The door clicks open with a quick rush of a headache ready to begin. Both come through the door. "Hey Sebby!", Hannah grins with her pale teeth and blue cosmetics. I give her a lazy wave of a hand. Grayson, I don't even intend on greeting him.

  Dinner begins once everyone settles themselves at the dining table. The variety of homemade foods of our childhood is placed on the table. It's been a while since I've seen her cook again even though she has a maid.

As the meeting goes on, conversation circles the table. Hannah gossips about some wealthy woman who hosted a fashion show last month and the conflict that went on with the outfits and the tailor who supposedly "ruined" the dress of the woman's spoiled daughter. All is nothing but drama. It's her own fault for making last-minute decisions 20 minutes before the show. Grayson blabbers on nonsense at his company, and Liam goes on about his client and a challenging case. After, it leaves me.

  "Sebastian?", my father says between his bites of food. "Your matters?"

  I clear my throat. "...We are reviewing our findings of Polus. That is all."

  "What did you guys find?", Hannah gasps, dropping her fork on her plate. Her eyes widen. "That information cannot be shared, but the planet snows year-round and has a deep lava pit showing on its surface."

  Grayson hums with interest. "Exciting."

  "Yeah..."

  The conversation continues to family matters then silence.

  My phone brings life back into the dining room. It buzzes in my breast pocket. "Excuse me." I stand from the table, phone in hand, to the front door. Serena calls.

"Hello?", I answer, standing out on the doorstep.

"Sebastian! You won't believe what just happened! The manager of Mira just got replaced!"

"So?" I slide my hand in my back pocket.

"It's not what you think. There's more!"