Chapter 1: Coffee And Sarcasm

"A salted caramel mocha please." I say to the barista at my local coffee shop.
"No problem Sam." Suzanne says.
"So how are things?" I ask with a smile.
"Well, did you come for a coffee or a talk?" She says trying to make my order.
"I'll settle for my coffee for now I guess."
"Good now let me focus and I'll bring it to you soon." She says waving me away to my regular seat. As I head over however, there seems to be someone else sitting there. I walk up and kindly ask if he can move as I usually sit there.
"What, does it have your name on it kid?" The guy says sarcastically with a smirk.
"Actually it does if you look on the back under the lip." I say pointing at the spot with a warm smile.
"Okay kid, like I'd believe that now go get your kiddie seat and fuck off." He says rolling his eyes.
"Sam, your orders done." Suzanne says waving me over.
"Yea go get your order and leave." The guy says with a smirk.
"Whatever weirdo." I say walking away. As I approach the counter Suzanne holds my drink and a hand out. Instantly getting the signal I get out my wallet and give her two tens, one for the coffee and one for her.
"Bye Suzanne, hope your day gets better!" I say while walking out. I immediately go to the side street and get on my 09' Suzuki TU250X. I open up the bag on the middle of the handlebars and pull out my purple and black checkered thermos. I then carefully pour my coffee in and after closing the lid, I put it back in the bag. Finally I pull out my keys, start the engine, put my helmet on, and head to school.

As I pull into student parking I see students grouped around theschool entrance waiting for a teacher to unlock the doors. Not seeing any of my friends at this point I put in my earbuds and listen to papa roach while drinking my coffee. After a few songs I see a bus go by and Sophi's midnight purple 70' Pontiac Firebird pull into student parking. As Sophi walks over to me I see a small foreign truck pull in that I don't recognize.
"Who's truck is that?" I ask Sophi quietly.
"I don't know, let's go and see." She says with a mischievous smile. As we approach, Matt gets out and we both gasp in surprise.
"You finally got a truck!" I say in surprise.
"Y-Yeah but it's r-really cheap..." Matt says looking away.
"Yea, because you wouldn't let me buy you one!" I say teasingly.
"W-Well I d-didn't want you to w-waste your m-money!" He says going scarlet.
"It wouldn't be a waste, I have too much for just myself." I say honestly.
"S-Still I-I just d-don't need any m-money."
"Fine, but after school I'm taking you somewhere to eat."
"Aww, is that a date I hear?" Sophi says with a cat-like smile.
"No I just feel like treating my friend, if you'd like you can join." I say with a warm smile.
"Sure, and when Zack gets here we can invite him as well." Sophi says.
"That sounds good, what do you think?" I ask, turning to Matt.
"Y-Yea, t-that sounds good." Matt says looking away slightly.
"You okay?" I ask quietly.
"Yea, t-talk about it later?" Matt asks quietly back. I then answer with a smile and slight nod. After a few more minutes a brand new Chevy Silverado pulls up and Zack gets out.
"Sup you guys." He says after walking over.
"School obviously." Sophi says jokingly.
"Well yea but you know what I meant." Zack says rolling his eyes.
"I've been good, you?" Sophi asks.
"Yea, how about you guys?" Zack says turning to me and Matt.
"As long as you all are." I say smiling
"And you Matt?" Zack asks.
"Y-Yea." He says glancing at us all. About then a teacher unlocks the main doors and we head to first hour. At breakfast I notice Matt looking kinda sick and decide to ask him about it later. Before breakfast is dismissed the principal and superintendent make announcements about new rules. After about twenty minutes of going through rules that aren't enforced we are finally let go and heading back to class.

The school bell finally rings its final ring of the day and we are all dismissed from last class. I immediately head to student parking to wait and meet up with Sophi, Matt, and Zack. As they come from different areas of the school I get on my motorcycle and rest my arms on the handlebars. Zack jogs up first and tells me he won't be able to make it to the diner Matt suggested.
"Wait, how come?" I ask.
"Because I have football practice." He says.
"Football practice? It's the first day of school so how's that work?" Sophi asks after getting close enough to talk.
"Because coach wants us to obviously." Zack says.
"Well then why aren't you practicing now?" Sophi asks.
"Because practice starts at three." Zack says.
"Well that sucks... maybe we can plan for the weekend?" I ask hopefully.
"Nope, coach says he's gonna be running us hard all season." Zack says looking pissed.
"It'll be fine, I don't think he'll run you all too much." I say
"Yea well you don't know him, he wants us to do five laps of the whole field before we play." Zack says scornfully.
"And here I thought you said you could run ten." Sophi says laughing.
"D-Did I miss a j-joke?" Matt asks with a confused look as he walks up.
"No Sophi was being mean to Zack again." I say jokingly.
"Don't listen to him Matt, I was just making fun." Sophi says, smiling.
"I-I know, o-otherwise you'd be y-yelling." Matt says smiling faintly back.
"Well I gotta head back to the field so I'll see y'all later." Zack says, walking away.
"Ok around four-thirty we'll meet at Paula's Diner, so I'm gonna head home to get ready." I say smiling.
"Aww are you getting all cute for us?" Sophi asks jokingly.
"Don't I almost always?" I joke back while starting my motorcycle.
"Well of course you do." Sophi says getting in her car.
"W-Well I'll see you at the d-diner." Matt says getting into his truck.
"Ok, and don't let me forget to take a look at your truck because of that thumping noise." I say smiling to him.
"D-Don't worry I-I will." Matt says half smiling back. After getting my helmet on I ride back to my empty home. As I approach my house I press my garage opener, park inside, and close it back.
"Not a soul around..." I say sadly to myself as I walk in. I walk slowly to my room and to my walk in closet, where I look in the full body mirror. Sighing I sit down on the floor and close my eyes, my happy facade fading. All the more sudden I start crying thinking about my parents and how they left me. They think the money they give keeps me happy, however I know they don't care for me as they don't ever call. Then I think of Matt, Sophi, and Zack and how I at least have a few good friends.

I decide then to pay for the meal later, and to get an extra meal for Zack since he won't be there. Getting up off the floor, I wipe my eyes and start looking for something to wear. Eventually I settle on a blue and grey hoodie, black skinny jeans, blue and black checkered vans, and a black onyx stud earring in my right ear. After spritzing myself with some cologne, I go to my garage and get in my matte black and red 19' Audi R8 Spyder and head to the diner.

A/N: Thanks to one of my friend's beautiful art of Sam! Check out my friend Differentnotless on deviantart to see more of her artwork! Thanks as well, to all the people who have supported me!