Chapter Two

We reached the school entrance in just a few minutes. And by the second his face showed up, girls flocked at him, screaming in delight. Arkie made an annoyed expression to drive off the numerous girls trying to get a selfie from him; though unfortunately for him, none seems to care.

I step away, just a little distance to not get caught in the commotion. But before heading to our own building, I took a quick look back at him, busy trying to handle the raging crowd. I even saw some guys from the baseball club carrying a large duffel bag, approaching with a proud smile on their faces. One of them, their captain, playfully ruffled Arkie's hair. While their girl manager, patted him on the shoulder.

Ah, right.

They won the tournament yesterday against an undefeated team from another school. And Arkie, being the ace and being good at everything if he put his mind into it, took his team to victory. Having to hit a three consecutive home run. Seriously, how can someone be that good at everything?

I let out a sigh before taking a stride inside the school building. Climbing the stairs up the second floor to my classroom. Not minding the curious and piercing gaze that some of the students was giving my way.

I reached the room in no time, only to find out that most of my classmates, especially females, was huddled by the window. Whispering words of adoration. Arkie's name circled around the flock of woman staring.

"Your friend's popular as always, huh?" a voice got my attention and I turned to my side to smile at her.

"Good morning, Sofia." I greeted her.

She look up from the magazine she was reading and smile. "Good morning. Thank god you got here in one piece."

I giggled as I sat down beside her. "Everyone's preoccupied with him, none seemed to notice me."

"I still can't believe you came to school with him," she muttered, an amused.

"Everyone, though."

Ever since Arkie became popular in the baseball team, everyone started paying him attention. And eventually that somehow includes me. That one morning we came to school together, it caused a large uproar and issue on the school. My peaceful life began to crumble.

Nang hindi pa gaano ka-sikat ang kaibigan ko sa school, wala talagang pumapansin sa amin. More like, walang nakakakilala sa amin. Walang nakakaalam na magkaibigan kami. Na lagi kaming sabay pumasok sa school at minsan pag-uwi. Or the fact that we eat lunch together at the back of the school building, under a large tree. Or the fact that he sleeps on my shoulder if we have time before the bell rings for our afternoon classes.

So, you couldn't really imagine their shock when they found out about my 'relationship' with their Dear Arkie. Urgh. So unbelievable.

Tuloy ay nasira na ang tahimik kong buhay. Hindi na din namin magamit ang likod ng school tuwing lunch dahil dinudumog na iyon ng ilang estudyante. Especially girls wanting to get a piece of my bestfriend. But unfortunately for them, hindi na din doon kumakain ang lalaking iyon dahil kasama na nito ang team niya.

And that being said, wala na din akong kasama tuwing lunch. I don't eat at the cafeteria to avoid bullies. Yes, bullies. Some stupid, crazy girls doesn't like me being around their Dear Arkie. Saying I have no right to be his friend.

Sometimes I eat on the restroom. Or on the janitors room. Thankfully the janitors are really kind to let me sit in with them.

"Ah, Feiya. May meeting kami ng club ngayon kaya 'di kita masasamahan mag-lunch." ani Sofia habang nagliligpit ng kanyang gamit.

Thank goodness Sofia's not one of those girls. She does go on lunch with me if she has the time. Though not really most of the time. She's that one girl who hates the popular guy. She doesn't get along with Arkie despite being a cheerleader cheering for his team.

"It's alright," nakangiting sagot ko na lamang.

Nang matapos itong magligpit ay nagpaalam din ito't patakbong lumabas ng silid. Mabilis ko ding isinilid ang lahat ng gamit ko sa bag at nagmamadaling lumabas. Trying to get away from a couple of eyes who had been staring at me for a while now.

I ran down the stairs and head straight to a particular room. Knocking for a couple of time before turning the knob and pushing the wooden door.

"Sorry for the intrusion!" I giddily announces which were met by some light chuckles.

"Alone again?" the lady in her 20's asked, pulling one of the chair for me to sat on.

"Am I bothering?" pagngiwi ko bagama't naupo na din ako sa pwesto ko't inilabas ang lunchbox ko.

"Pretty much." buro niya na ikinanguso ko naman.

Nagkanya-kanya na din silang labas ng sariling tanghalian, ang ilan ay gaya ko na homemade lunchbox, ang ilan naman ay pagkain galing sa cafeteria. One of them even bought an extra food to share for everyone.

Wonder how I ended up sharing lunch with them? I was actually caught sneaking here eating lunch one time, and when I told them my reason, they proposed to eat with them whenever I want to. That's really thoughtful of them.

"Ah-" Ms. Maya, the oldest lady gasp when a knock on the door disrupted our lunch.

Ilang beses din ang katok na iyon at bago pa man din makasagot ang isa sa mga kasama ko ay bumukas na ito. Iniluwa ang isang lalaki na sa sobrang gulat ko nang makita ito ay nahulog pa ako sa kinauupuan. Thus, earning a worried gasp from them. Except for the intruder who was narrowing his eyes at me.

"The heck are you doing here?" anas niya saka mabilis akong nilapitan. 'Di ko pa nagawang makapalag nang hilahin ako nito patayo. "I will hit you. was waiting for eternity at the spot but here you are having a perfect lunch."

"Wha- huh?" nagugulumihang angil ko naman. "What do you--"

"I texted you, dumbass!" sigaw niya.

Sasagot pa dapat ako pero naunahan na ako ng isa sa mga janitor na kasama ko-si Kuya JR. Nakangiti pa niyang tinapik sa braso ang naghuhurumintadong si Arkie.

"Okay. Okay. Kalma lang, hijo." aniya sa isa na ngumiwi lamang. "Kasalukuyan kaming kumakain kaya bakit hindi ka nalang sumabay. Hindi magandang iwan ang pagkain."

"Haa?" anas ng kaibigan ko. Magkahalong gulat at pagtataka sa sinabi ng nakatatanda.

Tinapik ko naman siya sa balikat at pilit na nginitian. "Sorry. I'll get you back next time. But for now, why not join us?"

He fell silent. Staring at us. Observing. Contemplating. And probably hesitating. But, in the end, he just sigh in defeat and nodded reluctantly. Slumping on the seat provided for him and fishing his own lunch from his sling bag.

"Ah, I got a perfect score earlier." pagbabalita niya. Bagot pa ang boses nito't tila hindi din interesado sa sinasabi. "Your score?"

Umingos ako. "I got two answer wrong."

Ngumisi naman siya bago sumagot. "Heh, thought so. Loser.

"Oh, a matching lunch box!" Ms. Maya pointed out seeing the same purple cloth wrap on his lunchbox with rabbit characters as a design. The same one as mine. "You guys are couple?"

"Eh?"

"May boyfriend ka pala, Feiya! Ba't 'di ka sumasabay sa kanya kumain imbes na magtiis rito?" usisa ni Ate Ana, isa din sa mga janitor ng school.

"Ah! I-it's not like--"

"Tch." Arkie clicked his tongue, followed by an annoyed snort. "This dumbass is not my girl. She's just a friend. I ain't planning to date anyone. Especially her."

Yeah right