Chapter Thirteen

When I woke up this morning, my mind was messed up and muddy. The little headache in the back of my head as well as the heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach was uncomfortable. My mouth tasted iron and my throat was soar from all the coughing I did last night. My eyes sting from the unstoppable tears, too. And I felt dizzy from the lack of sleeps.

I didn't really have the energy to push myself out of the bed and get ready for school. Honestly, I only wanted to stay in and curled myslef into a ball all day long. But, I can't.

After a minute of contemplating, I decided to push myself out of bed and shuffled through the bathroom to prepare for school. Feeling more dizzy than ever. The hot water from the shower didn't even help to wash away the uneasiness I had been feeling.

"Feiya, andito na si Arkie!" dinig kong tawag ni Mama mula sa labas na labis kong ikinagulat.

Napasinghap pa ako bago mapadungaw sa bintana ng kwarto upang sipatin kung naroon nga siya. And my stomack did a terrible flip when I saw him by the door, waiting.

What the-- I thought he won't pick me up again!?

Dali-dali kong dinampot ang bag ko sa stuady table at lumabas nh kwarto. Siniguro ko pang nai-lock ko ang pinto upang 'di pasukin ni Mama ang silid at makita ang mga bulaklak na nagkalat sa kama. Mabilis na nagpaalam kay Mama saka tinungo ang pinto.

I put on my shoes and heave a breath. Swallowing the lump on my throat before pushing the door open. My eyes met the eyes of the guy waiting, one eyebrow arc upward. The fammiliar scowl was still plastered on his face. Not a good sight this early in the morning.

"G-good morning. . ." I greeted him, flashing a wobbly smile. "Uhm. . . I didn't know you'll pick me up today."

"Why?"

"I thought you'll pick up. . . uhm. . . Heather?"

Tumalikod ito. "She said her brother will drop her at school."

"Oh." iyon lang ang isinagot ko saka sumunod sa kanya ng maglakad na paalis.

Tahimik naman akong naglakad sa tabi niya, inaabala ang sarili sa kung ano mang makita sa daan. Tahimik lang din naman siya sa tabi ko, tila ba malalim ang iniisip. Pinili ko ding 'wag na siyang pansinin upang papaano'y hindi ako mahirapan. Arkie being by my side right now is flipping my insides. The flowers won't calm down.

Coughing petals infront of him is the least thing I want right now. I don't want him to know.

"Hey, dumbass, what's with the silence?" he suddenly spoke, nudging my side completely cutting my thoughts. I hesitantly turned and look at him with wide questioning eyes. "Don't play dumb with me. What the heck is wrong with you?"

I let out another wobbly smile before answering. "M'fine. . . just. . ." I trailed off thinkinh of an excuse that will satisfy him. ". . .just thinking 'bout my long quiz this morning. . ."

"Oh, yeah?. . ." he muttered sarcastically, smirking as he lean closer to my space. "I hate to break your luck, but that kind of cheap excuses won't work on me." he scoffed before straightening again, shoving his hands in his pockets. "You're not a good liar."

I shook my head and pursed my lips in a thin line, inhaling a couple of times. "M'fine, really. . . just. . ." then again I trailed off; twirling the strap of my bag trying to come up some proper words. ". . . Just don't worry. I'm fine."