Part 1 Ruins Chapter 2 Warmth

Frisk has tried very hard to ignore their stomach growling. They thought they were dead. Turns out, this hole is magical, and they can fall without hurting themselves. Or, so they've figured out. They sit up, looking around. It's dark, the moon barely illuminates the bed of golden flowers. They can't really see the moon, but they like to assume the moon guided them to safety. They decide to explore the cave. Their parents always told them to look for an adult, so that they could call them in case they were lost. Frisk had never used that tactic before today. It's too dark. They can't see. Their stomach is growling louder. The snacks didn't help satiate their hunger.

Stick in one hand, they touch the walls with the other. It's humid, like rocks under a cave. Humid and smooth. Frisk is a bit grossed out. They whip their hand on their shirt. They remember their grandfather telling them:

"If you ever get stuck in a maze, always follow the right side, and you'll find the exit eventually."

Frisk takes a deep breath and extends their right hand, clutching the stick for comfort. Their fingertips touch the wet and smooth wall, and they walk forward, following their grandfather's advice. The darkness covers them, making them hard to see what's going on in front of them. Their fingertips touch a wood structure, making them stop. A wood structure? They run their hand on it. No, polished stone. It must be some sort of gate. They look in front of them. A large room is illuminated by two torches crossing each other. A bright green patch is in the middle. Frisk advances carefully.

They see a golden flower smiling at them. They hear faint music playing in the background. They look around, trying to identify the source of the music. Their ears ring. They can hear it clearly. It gives them a headache. They press their hands to their ears, dropping their stick. They hope it makes the music and the ringing stop. The white noise doesn't stop. A drum that's blocking their hearing. The flower tilts its crown.

Tilts?

"Howdy!" the flower greets. "I'm Flowey. Flowey the flower!"

Frisk blinks. The ringing has quieted down, but they can still hear the faint music. They're afraid of the ringing. Will it be louder if they take their hands off? Will the white noise—this constant, humming noise—dim down? They carefully take their hands off their ears and pick up the stick. It has quieted down. Just the faint echo of music. Frisk doesn't know if it's in their head or if it's real. They haven't been exposed to music except to what's on the radio and the music their video games would provide. Frisk looks around. Maybe there's a speaker close?

They hear someone clearing their throat and Frisk looks back in front of them. The flower looks at them, annoyed that it hasn't been acknowledged. Was it talking to them?

"Hmm... You're new to the underground, aren't 'cha? Golly, you must be so confused!"

Frisk wants to nod. Except, this flower can speak, so it's considered a stranger. Frisk never addresses strangers unless their parents deem the stranger trustworthy. Or they know the stranger. Frisk also doesn't understand how a flower can speak. Did it mention "underground"? Is this the Monster Realm from the legend?

"Someone oughta teach you how things work around here!" The flower huffs. "I guess little old me will have to do. Ready?"

Frisk isn't sure what they need to be ready for, but they don't like it. They don't like being ready for things they've never heard of. Frisk can feel their breathing getting quicker. Like the time their parents yelled at each other. Like the time their mother got mad they didn't put the dishes at their correct place. Like each time the children made fun of them. Like each time a teacher didn't mention a minor detail that could've given them a good grade. They clutched the stick, trying to feel its texture and to calm down. Flowey wants to teach them how things work in the underground. How can it be so different? Frisk feels their hands getting sweatier against the wood.