4: Breaking Point

Lately, things have been rough for you and Lucas. Just in the past week, he had forgotten your anniversary, canceled a dinner reservation for the two of you, and his frustration has been more frequent. Instead of trying to talk about it, he's been avoiding the topic altogether. Tonight was your last attempt at getting him to talk with you.

You looked up from your phone at your bathroom door to see Lucas coming in from his shower. He held onto the towel as he walked past you on the bed and headed for the closet.

"Uh, we need to talk about some things." You said as you put your phone onto the nightstand closest to you.

"Can I get some clothes on first?" He mumbled. You sighed and took a deep breath because you wanted to try and be as patient as you could be, in hopes that it would help the situation.

"Yeah, just meet me downstairs when you're done." You grabbed your phone and slid on your slippers before walking downstairs to wait for him in the kitchen.

As you waited for him you tapped your nails on the island in the kitchen, which made you think back to when the two of you had an argument about how long it took for you to get your nails done. Of course, you had no control over the time but Lucas insisted that you did. It just added to the unnecessary and ridiculous fights you've been having.

Finally after waiting for a while, Lucas came downstairs in a black shirt that hugged his body and white basketball shorts.

"What do we need to talk about y/n?" He sat at the island across from you and sighed as if he didn't feel like talking.

"Do you want to leave me or something?" You asked simply. Since his body language suggested he didn't want to talk, you decided you wouldn't cut any corners.

"What?" He asked sitting up from his slumped position.

"You have been so disconnected from me and I hate it," You looked him in his eyes to let him know you were serious about how you were feeling.

"I hate being in this house with somebody that I love so much and have them not be here with me mentally or emotionally." You could feel the knot in your stomach crawl up your throat but you didn't let it get through.

"And where is this coming from? You been talking to your sister again, haven't you? I told you to leave people out of our business." His voice was firm, with a slight bit of anger. You were preparing yourself to have a difficult discussion with him.

"Don't even start that Lucas this is coming from me. You always resort to that because you don't think I'm capable of having my own feelings. Well I'm hurting ok!?" The knot in your throat had finally reached far enough and came out through your voice, causing it to crack.

"Nobody said you weren't capable of that. And if she didn't have anything to do with this then why is it coming up all of a sudden?" He raised his voice back at you and stood out of his chair.

"Because you haven't talked to me. I don't know how to talk to you anymore and I think you're cheating on me." You finally told him what you've really been thinking.

He pulled his eyes and eyebrows together in a confused look and shook his head.

"Is that what you think?" He asked. You swiped your cheek with your sleeve and pulled your arm back down.

Even though you were still busy wiping your face that had by now been stained by tears, you heard Lucas sigh and saw him walking over to you. You then looked up at him when you were ready to. His height cast a large shadow over you.

"You think I'm cheating on you?" He asked. You nodded as you straightened your back again and backed up a little from him. You weren't going to let your guard down just yet.

"What other reason could there be? Really? We went from being really good to really bad and really fast Lucas. I don't know what we're doing anymore." You shrugged as he ran both of his hands through his hair and finally let his arms rest on his sides.

"I'm not cheating on you Y/n. I would never do that." His demeanor changed and maybe you gained a little bit of comfort from that.

"Then explain to me why you've changed. What happened that made you so distant?" You crossed your arms as he came up to you again.

As he stood there he looked over your face and brought his hand up to run over your cheek. You were confused by his behavior because he hasn't been very affectionate either through this period. He then grabbed your arms pulling them apart and took one of your hands in his.

"There's been...there's just been a lot of things going on and I haven't been able to sit down with the pressure and deal with it." He explained.

"But you're taking that out on me." You pointed at your chest as he nodded and took a deep breath, quickly letting it out before continuing.

"I know I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been doing this to you." You looked away from him but he brought your face back to face him.

"You have to talk to me about the things that stress you out because if I don't know what's wrong with you I'm going to think something bad is happening." He rubbed his hands up and down both of your arms as he listened to you.

"I understand." He said simply.

You were glad you had finally talked it out, but you still wouldn't believe he was telling the full truth until you see some changed behavior.