Chapter 54

Katsumi timidly opened up the door to Bakugo's room, peering inside. The lights were off; the curtains closed so the daylight wouldn't come through his room. Katsumi could see Bakugo laying on his bed, curled and turned away from her.

She swallowed hard, stepping inside and closing the door behind her. Katsumi had enough sense to lock the door behind her, realizing Bakugo wouldn't want anyone else in here at all.

"Can...can I turn on the lights?"

"I don't want to see you," he murmured. His word stung Katsumi's soul. "It's just proof of what I did."

Katsumi opened her mouth to say something but found nothing to say. She was right: he was blaming himself for what her parents did to him.

Taking in a deep breath, and mentally preparing herself for any type of anger that could be thrown at her because of his hurt feelings, Katsumi turned on the lights to his room.

To her surprise, Bakugo didn't move, nor did he say anything. All she heard was a heavy, aggravated sigh from him.

"Katsuki, it-"

"You've seen me now," Bakugo interrupted, his voice a mix of anger and exhaustion. "You've seen me, so are you satisfied? You can leave me alone now."

If he was intentionally trying to hurt her so she wouldn't pry, it had worked. Tears stung her eyes at his words, and she forced herself to swallow the lump in her throat.

But Katsumi had a whole slew of emotional baggage that was barely being contained herself. She wasn't about to let Bakugo simmer in his any longer than he had to.

"Of course I'm not satisfied, you aren't okay," Katsumi carefully chose her words. "Katsuki, it wasn't your fault."

A low chuckle left Bakugo's lips and he sat up on his bed, still facing away from Katsumi. "That's rich, especially coming from you, Katsumi."

Katsumi's shoulders drooped at his words.

"Not my fault? We knew about your parents' quirks. We knew what they could do. And yet even with all that knowledge, you get kidnapped by them, and for some stupid reason I thought fighting them without Aizawa there to immobilize their quirks, we could be okay."

"Katsuki that wasn't your fault," Katsumi defended. "They caught us all off-guard. We didn't know they'd launch an attack like that."

"Not my fault? They used me against you," His voice was laced with venomous anger. "They so easily put me under their control and made me hurt you. Not only that, you didn't fight back...and it just kept going. I continued to hurt you."

Katsumi frowned. There was so much to unpack and tell him. So much to listen to. With all the conflicting emotions swirling around her head, she could hardly figure out how she was supposed to help him at the moment.

"But-"

"But nothing!" Bakugo snapped. "I hurt you. You, of all people. The person I swore I'd never hurt and that I would protect. What do I do, instead? I leave burns and bruises and scars across your body as if you didn't have enough already!! I did the exact same thing those damn scientists did to you! How could you possibly stand to even look at me?!"

Tears gathered in the bottom of Katsumi's eyes, her mouth dropping open as she looked at Bakugo, completely heartbroken. Her lip wobbled as she saw him put his hands over his face, and she forced herself to speak.

"Katsuki, it wasn't you...that wasn't you. You didn't hurt me."

Bakugo snapped his head around, looking at Katsumi for the first time. She was devastated to see the bags under his eyes from clear lack of sleep, and redness in his pupils which indicated that he had indeed been crying at some point recently. But his red eyes were aflame with anger as he got to his feet, stalking over to her.