one

" Ammi, aap baith jaayein. Main lein aata hoon" Saifaan held his mother's hand and walked her to sit on the Diwan and went back to the kitchen.

" Ghee ka dabba bhi lein aaon" Gulaisha called out to her son who was bringing their breakfast.

She was running a slight temperature since last night and despite warnings from her husband and son, she had woken up early as was her habit.

" Ammi chai abhi lein aaon ya aap baad mein piyengi?" Saifaan peeped his head out from the little window that connects the kitchen and the living room.

" Abhi lein aaon, mere sar mein bohot dard hain. Chai se theek hou jaayega" she laid back on the Diwan and closed her eyes for a bit when her phone rang. It was her neighbor Aafiya who had called up at her usual time to check up on her, as they did everyday.

The ladies were more like sisters than neighbors and supported each other through thick and thin. Aafiya has proven to be more than a friend throughout their lives and Gulaisha too has always had her back whenever she needed.

Saifaan came back with their plates and laid down the dastarkhwaan on the Diwan itself, before running back to pour the tea. He had already called his boss that he'll be late today since his mother was not keeping well. It also helped a lot when his boss was his own cousin!

He worked in the city branch of Ibrahim Holdings and Securities which was looked over by Saboor. Saifaan was promoted to the post of the Assistant Regional Manager just last week and all on merit. Saboor was extremely fair and did not believe in favouritism or nepotism. His cousin deserved to be where he is and it was all his hardwork and dedication alone that has got him there, not his family ties.

" Ammi, main baher se lunch bhijwa dunga aapke liye. Aap bilkul bhi koi kaam nahi karein aaj" Saifaan smeared ghee on her paratha and even cut up the omelette for her before helping her eat.

Gulaisha smiled at her older son. Her always kind and patient and understanding little boy Saifu.

" Itni bhi koi beemaar nahi hoon main Saifu" she tried protesting but her son looked adamant about it.

" Mujhe behas nahi chahiye isspar Ammi, aap waise hi bohot thhak jaatein hain. Main keh raha hoon ek mulazma rakh lein par aap meri baat kaha maante hain" he clicked his tongue at her stubbornness.

His mother insisted on doing everything by herself despite them telling her otherwise. They were better off now than they were a few years ago and can totally afford hired help.

" Tumhe late hou jaayega Saifu, aakar baat kartein hain" Gul pointed at the clock and sure enough it was too late for his office.

" Aap abhi aaraam karein, bartan nahi dhona" Saifaan kept away their plates and ran out to wear his shoes.

Just as he opened the door and stepped out he collided with another person and he sighed in irritation seeing who it was.

" Yeh joh itni haseen aankhein di hain Allah ne aapko, kabhi iska istemaal karne ka socha hain aapne?" Saifaan was irked hearing her sickly sweet voice dripping with sarcasm.

" Aur yeh joh zubaan di hain tumhe Allah ne, kabhi isse bhi aaraam dein diya karo. Har waqt isse kainchi ki tarah chalana zaruri nahi hain" Saifaan smiled back just as sarcastically as he dusted his shoes and slipped his feet inside.

" Meri marzi, main kaise bhi istemaal karoon apni zubaan ka" Sohai told him haughtily and he shook his head, not wanting to engage with her so early in the morning.

" Tumhaare gharwalo ne finally tumhe tang aakar ghar se nikaal diya?" Saifaan stifled a smile seeing her face getting red in fury.

" Aur yeh khushfehmi kyu paali hain aapne?" She smiled at him again, but her hands were itching to smack him with the leather shoes he was tying the laces of.