Phone Call

Rosa, Haddock, and Tintin all sat in the library exchanging suspicious glances at one another. They knew the others had something good, they just didn't want to say it. Rosa stared at Haddock. Oh, he's bluffing. There's no way he would risk everything over something like that. She thought.

     Tintin noticed the slight hostility and made a move. He placed his cards on the table in a fan shape. "Full house."

     "Straight flush," Rosa gloated as she put her cards down. Both of them stared at Haddock, waiting for him to reveal what he bet all his chips on.

     He cracked a smug smile and laid his cards on the table. "Four of a kind."

     "Yes! I knew you were bluffing. I'm a genius!" Rosa victoriously swept the chips to her side of the table.

    "You're just lucky. If I drew one more two, you would've been toast." Haddock jabbed Rosa's side.

     "Yeah right. Admit it, old man. You're losing your edge." Rosa shoved him in the shoulder as the two of them laughed.

     "You're surprisingly good at poker. What's your secret?" Tintin asked as he leaned on the table with his elbows.

     "Haddock and I played all the time on the ship a while back. You know, before Saccharine." Rosa pointed to Haddock with her thumb while he shuffled the cards. Tintin smiled as he rolled his eyes before the phone was heard across the mansion. Everyone's ears perked up as they looked to the door, where they heard Nestor answer the phone before he stepped through the door.

     "Mr. Tintin, it's for you," he said while holding out the phone, making sure the chord didn't get caught in the doorway.

     "Excuse me for a minute." Tintin pushed his chair back and left the library before he responded to the phone. "Hello?... Hello detective. How are you?... Alright... yes... are you sure? I'll be right there." He hung up the phone and walked back into the library. "Thompson and Thomson have located the hideout of the Bird Brothers."

     "Who?" Haddock cocked his head.

    "They are the leaders of a small crime circle downtown. They have been the suspect of multiple robberies and burglaries. I'm going to help the detectives in any way I can. It could be worth a story," Tintin said as he put on his coat.

     "Well, I've never been one to turn down danger. I'm coming too." Rosa replied as she stood up and walked to the door as well.

     "There's no need. It shouldn't be anything more than a simple bust. The only reason I'm going is that I've been investigating the brothers for the past few weeks and the detectives wanted some insight. Besides, I don't want to put you in any unnecessary danger."

     Rosa sighed and put her hands on her hips. "You've put me in so much unnecessary danger already, what's one bust?" Tintin raised an eyebrow. Rosa sighed. "You just have to be the responsible one, don't you? Fine, I'll stay. But if you die, I'll kill you. Just make sure you have back up," Rosa pointed her finger at Tintin's face as he backed up against one of the bookcases and gave a harsh nod as he chuckled.

    "Be on the lookout, lad. Those Bird Brothers aren't to be taken lightly," Haddock added as he walked over.

     "I'll be fine. If all goes well, then I should be home later tonight. Don't wait up for me," Tintin turned and left the library.

     Rosa turned to Haddock. "We're waiting up for him, right?"

    "Obviously," Haddock chuckled as he picked up another hand of cards.