Chapter 4

Third Person's POV

Zac dramatically held out a hand towards his living room. "Welcome to my home!" he declared. As Orochi and Akira stepped through the front door and looked up, their eyes widened.

It wasn't as big as they hoped, but other than that, it was a pop star's typical living space. With walls and furniture of pure white, a cool dark wooden flooring, and a comfy rug under the black coffee table near the large TV screen, one could imagine this to be their dream house.

"Wow!" Akira exclaimed with twinkling eyes, dropping his bag of supplies to admire the room. "You live with this everyday?!"

"Mhm!"

Orochi glanced around with a casual look. "Coolio place ya got here. You don't happen to have any instruments on you, do you?"

"That's in my bedroom. Wanna check them out?" Zac offered eagerly.

Orochi's usual relaxed self now escalated to almost Akira's level of enthusiasm. "Such fine quality..." he uttered, tenderly placing his fingers on the piano keys of a new-looking keyboard.

Zac chuckled. "Never seen this side of Orochi before."

In the background, Akira was peering into the orange lava lamp that was sitting on a drawer by the bedside. "I could stare at this forever..." he mouthed.

"Well, you should be staring at my posters," Zac teased, standing up on his bed and pointing at one of the pictures of himself. "Don't I look brilliant?"

No answer. Akira was already preoccupied with the lamp, while Orochi was playing an inaudible song on the keyboard.

"Oh, okay then," Zac said half-heartedly.

Akira suddenly gasped and looked up from the lamp. "We could do a jam session together!" he rejoiced.

"I'm down," Orochi grinned. "But am I going to be the only one playin' an instrument?"

Zac gave his friends a smirk. "There is a reason I have so many instruments in my house."

The whole house suddenly burst with energy and noise. One can hear the sound of Orochi's keyboard, Zac's electric guitar strums, and Akira's unintelligible yell-rapping from miles away.

"WHY DID I CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE?!" A distressed neighbor cried out from a distance.

"Good work, team!" Zac congratulated, taking off his guitar strap and hanging his guitar on the wall with his other stringed instruments. "I hope our neighbors enjoyed that! What's next?"

"We could have a Beyblade battle royale," Orochi suggested. His eyes narrowed towards the others. "Last man standing."

Zac fell silent.

"A Beybattle, eh?" Akira sneered challengingly to Orochi. "I'm gonna drop the mic once I'm done with both of you!"

Taking out his Zillion Zeutron, Zac pondered. If that's the case, this might be my last battle before... they... take you.

Naw! My friends and I will guard you tonight! Let's just enjoy this! While we still can...

Triumphantly, Zac showed off his Bey's energy layer to his friends. "You're the one who's going to get dropped, kid!"

"Looks like our rivalry sparks up yet again..." Akira muttered, taking out his Bey too. "It is on! Anubion's gonna steal the spotlight!"

"Hey," Orochi glowered, his Bey already in his hands. "You can't forget me. Y'all gonna be blasted away by my Odax!"

"I love the confidence, you two," Zac acknowledged. "But Zillion Zeutron, of course."

Orochi and Akira stared at Zac with confused looks.

Zac groaned. "Let me get the stadium."

Meanwhile, Auguste was typing away on his computer, yawning every few dozen seconds. His eyes were drooping and on the brink of being closed shut, until the computer screen unexpectedly changed into black. His computer ran out of battery.

With an angry groan, he shoved his chair back, which took his desk aback and made some papers flutter down to the floor. He ran a hand through his still-graying hair and laid back on his chair, trying to steady his furied breathing.

There was a knock on the door. Sighing, Auguste stood up and opened it. "Who's there?" he mumbled, then his tired eyes widened.

He didn't think he'd see this face again.

Before him was a stone-faced man with matte eyes, noticeable eyebags, striped hair with two shades of blue, and checker-themed clothing under a white lab coat. He was holding a tablet underneath one arm.

"I'm ninety-nine percent sure you're Count Nightfell. And I'm one-hundred percent sure you're stressed," the man immediately began.

"How about that one percent, Evel? Who even is this Count Nightfell?" Auguste blurted out.

With a tap and swish on his tablet, "Evel" continued, "I've just added one percent to my conclusion now that you've recognized me without me ever having introduced myself."

A loud, raspy voice rang out from behind Evel, who wasn't disturbed about the volume in any way. "HAHA!!! DON'T THINK YOU CAN RUN AWAY FROM THE DOCTOR EVEL!"

With a backflip, an even taller pale man with long, lavender hair with pink tips and a peculiar outfit of purple and gray appeared at the doorway. Auguste, not used to action in the daylight, yelped and backed away. "H-Hyde?! What do you want from me, you two?!"

"I just wanted to see for myself if my conclusion was correct. I'll take my leave now." Evel was about to walk away, but Hyde blocked the exit. "WAIT! I want us to stay awhile, Doctor!"

"You can stay, but I'll go," Evel replied dully.

Hyde's cheerfulness melted away as his eyebagged, heterochromic eyes pierced into Evel's eyebagged, indifferent eyes. "Evel. You swore not to leave my side without warning like you did last time. You owe me."

"Fine."

"GREAT! We can all hang out now!" Hyde's eyes returned to their cheery, friendly selves.

"Wait, I never agreed to this...!!" Auguste stammered. "I have work!!!"

"Then why is your computer off? HAHA! A few friends over won't hurt! Besides, I get the feeling you need someone to talk to!" Hyde cackled.

"Wait..." Auguste suddenly remembered something urgent and closed the door cautiously. "You both know about my double-life. I can't assure you of leaving this apartment unless one of my guys wipes your memory," he informed darkly.

"Don't worry! Your secret is safe with us! Plus, it can't be that bad! I'm a known acquaintance of a phantom thief (which happens to be you of course), but I've never been questioned!" Hyde explained, unphased.

Auguste turned to Evel. "You?"

"I don't see how getting you in prison will get me any valuable data, so I'll seal my lips."

"Good. Now... I need to charge my computer."

"Computer com-pooper! No work is allowed in a hangout, COUNT--"

"It's Auguste, Hyde!" Auguste was about to go over to his desk.

"Right! AUGUSTE! NO WORK ALLOWED!"