Chapter 14

A couple more days passed since the phantom thieves turned themselves in. Since rehabilitation took some time, Zac and Auguste had to wait for the outcome of their decision. Zac, in the meantime, was having a stroll with his friends Orochi, Akira, and the rest of his crew, the Super Stars. Each of them had a cone of ice cream and a smile.

"Thanks for taking us out for ice cream, Zac!" one of the crewmates beamed.

"No problem, Mick!" Zac replied joyfully. "I told you we would all have a hang out together."

"Strange," Akira thought out loud after taking a lick of his mint chocolate chip dessert. "I was expecting fans to crowd in on us, since there's more of us here."

"Guess that's a bright side of losing some fame!" another one of the Super Stars laughed. The other two stared at him.

Orochi, who had his headphones on the whole time, took them off. "Don't think that we're not being followed, though." He pointed off to the distance. There were two photographers hiding behind a nearby building, their cameras at the ready. Upon being spotted, however, they fled.

Akira blinked. "Some things never change, huh?"

Zac started to rapidly search in his pockets. Taking his hands out of them, he revealed a set of masquerade masks, one for each of them. "Put these on!" he handed them out. "If a crowd comes, they will never know it is us. Trust me."

"Masks?" Orochi questioned. "Wait... don't tell me we are..."

"Oh yes." Zac nodded seriously. He placed his own mask above his eyes. "We will now be known as..." He struck a pose. "The Masked Bladers!"

Five figures with masks walked down the street, passing by occasional groups of people. The mysterious crew started to turn heads. "Who are they?" "They seem familiar..." "Are they going to a party?"

"Told you it would work," Zac whispered to his friends.

"Unbelievable," Orochi sighed in relief, and disbelief.

"This is pretty cool," Akira chuckled.

Suddenly, a group of girls in the distance ran towards them at top speed. "You saw those photos on the Internet! It is them! The Super Stars! Akira! Orochi! ZAC THE SUNRISE!" The girls shrieked as they got closer.

Zac and his crew turned around. "Oh, and now we're exposed." Zac muttered. He quickly took off his mask. "Hello fans!"

"It really is Zac!" "Zac, we still love you!" "Your brother is so handsome!" "Can we please get an autograph?!"

And just like that, he throws in the towel, Akira thought. He, too, threw his mask off. "It won't hurt to sign some autographs and take some pictures!" He beamed. The girls screeched joyfully. The Super Stars also joined in and greeted the gradually-growing crowd of fans.

Still with his mask on, Orochi proceeded to slowly walk away. Someone grabbed his wrist. "You're not gonna abandon us, are you?" Zac raised an eyebrow at him, then sharply whispered. "Take off your mask! Use it to hide your identity some other time."

Defeated, Orochi rejoined the group as they signed autographs, posed for pictures, and gave bright remarks to their remaining loyal fans.

"So you were the reason we suddenly lost a pint of our family fortune." A tall man with long, white hair and royal red clothes whacked the back of Hyde's head.

"Ow! Brother!" Hyde whined. "It was for a good cause!" He and his twin brother stood in Evel's laboratory at the Dread Tower. Evel had recently explained that Hyde used up some of the Dread Tower's money.