43. THE ROAD TO HELL

Winters in Lux were an odd thing, Snow thought. Leaves still surfed along the currents and through the windswept streets, dotting the air like splatters of paint with a significance that could only be appreciated from a great distance. The clouds in the sky were barren and bleak, yet they captured the sun's golden hues, storing it within their mysterious whorls and sharing the beauty for all to see:

The wayward son darting through the markets and into the rat-infested slums, ignoring the demands of his merchant father, who was held back by the bulk of horse-drawn carriages. The ravens gliding past the sizzle of metal in water and the dexterous weaving of history into tapestries spanning the length of a room, flapping their wings to shake away a loose feather or two that swivels to the ground. The horses stepping on those feathers, hauling a cage filled with ten slaves, one of whom stared at the world with wide, innocent eyes. That one slave child listening to the jangle of chains as the wagon bounced over bumps, watching the world play around her in vibrant colors as she remained in drab monochrome, living under the shadow of the mighty castle stretching sky-high towards Caelum.

The burning sky welcomed all of them with open arms, offered the peace of natural grace to help shake away their struggles and replace them with solace.

The Gods watched over Lux. Each winter, Snow relearned how true that was.

This kingdom was nothing like Umbra, the cruel, harsh slaps that left welts on skin or the silent sobs of the frozen dead. No. Lux was the enchanting snowflakes landing softly on the hides stretching across the tall buildings. The sun that shone as an ever-lasting hope despite the despondency thrumming with each blow of a horn.

Everyone heard it echo through Clarica like the cry of a lone tiger cub searching for its family. It reverberated through every column and baluster, parapet and balcony, corridor and hall, stone and line of mortar in the castle, calling the generals and grand scholars to a council.

Feeling the last of its tremors pass, Snow opened her eyes and took in Clarica from behind the window in her chambers. They were running out of time—she and Nickelyn. Snow wrung her hands behind the small of her back, distressed as Nickelyn finished her report.

"So the guards you sent to Lumina have not returned?" Snow asked. When Nickelyn remained silent, Snow bit her lower lip, digging her teeth hard enough to draw blood. "Do you suspect it was General Faelaux?"

"He has been preoccupied with the daily councils." Nickelyn sighed, and Snow could almost hear the shrug that followed it. "All the generals have been. His hands are tied for now. I suspect the Lotus."

"This cannot be the work of Lotus assassins."

"It is either them or the demons."

Snow wrinkled her nose. "Or Faelaux. . . If they remain missing, I need you to travel to Lumina and search for Lord Aegus. We cannot hold much longer without him. I fear the generals and grand scholars have noticed Jungkook's absence if their frequent meetings are a sign." She cupped her chin, her eyes brushing across the now-budding lights of the city. Her lips trembled. "How about Captain or Brigadier General Novire?"

Nickelyn was silent once more before she huffed dismally. "Nothing. They must be having trouble subduing the slaves as much as we are struggling with the Lotus."

Snow shook her head. "It does not make sense."

"Nothing has made sense since. . ." Nickelyn trailed off. They both knew what she referred to, and although they knew they were alone, voicing it was asking for trouble, especially since the walls had ears and eyes no matter where they hid.

Another horn blew. Steeling herself, Snow finally turned around and locked eyes with Nickelyn. "We can do this. The Captain and Elias should not be long." She gently squeezed Nickelyn's arm, more to reassure herself than anything else. All the same, it was her honesty and care. "And I trust you will find Lord Aegus."