30. GATHERING UNREST

In contrast to Tenebris, the halls of Umbra were open and free, an observation Taehyung noted when he glimpsed the marble thresholds towering over him as he strolled through the vacant courtyards dotted with wilting flowers swaying under the gleam of the stars.

Autumn had arrived later than Taehyung had expected. In Tenebris, the first hints of the changing seasons were stark: the shifting winds, the crisp breeze, the lack of common birds roaming the sky. But in Umbra, the changes were quite subtle, a shock for a kingdom famed for its everlasting winters and frost-barren wastelands. The only implication of the upcoming age of Caidus was the sprouting frost lilies. They were indigenous to the Scorching Frosts down south but had traveled northward by the high winds and the migrating flocks. Or so the Umbran legends claim.

Many differences divided the nations even when Taehyung only considered one season—one aspect of thousands. But nothing could compare to the contrast as clear as the dark sky: the celebration of Caelic tradition, the celebration of Caidadh.

Taehyung wasn't one fond of tradition. Tenebrans, in general, had no interest in Caelic practices, and that was a following of a precedent set by King Tenotus long ago during the first waves of Lux's Conquests of Light. After establishing the Tenotus Wall stretching across Tenebris, the kingdom and its people were isolated from the rest of Kartas. And visiting Umbra had opened Taehyung's eyes to that fact more than ever before.

Nonetheless, he enjoyed the walks in the castle and tried to ease his mind from his current troubles, but that plan didn't work. It took more than a calming walk to unsee the sight of death, especially one of a beloved. Taehyung's face itched, remnants of the Royal Council washing over him. He shook the reminders away.

Mourning would help no one, and a silent pact seemed to form within the castle walls. According to his guards, news of the sovereigns' deaths didn't spread to the commoners. The decision was Mother Erna's and a Sapientian ambassador named Sanon Ashkiba's, the same man who had called Mother Erna the day of the assassination.

It was a smart move on Mother Erna's part that made Taeyhung admire her further. She was living up to her name, and Taehyung was glad for it.

As for the other princes, there couldn't be a greater mess. While Taehyung spent his time wandering the castle halls and taking in the autumn scenery, he had gathered some information from the whispering servants, who were shy but delighted when he approached them with a boxy smile.

They told him every rumor bouncing between the guards and servants, from Jimin waking up from his injuries to Yoongi marching to Mother Erna's chambers only to be rebuffed. It was fascinating how fast rumors spread. Despite the differences between Tenebris and Umbra, that one human trait remained the same.

At night, though, there were no servants to approach and charm with a smile, so Taehyung marveled at the nascent lilies and pondered the other princes in his head. It was best to keep low and gather as much as possible about the other princes. The more he knew, the more he was prepared, and the other princes must be doing the same since it was only a matter of time before the princes of Vita and Lux arrived.

Missives to each respective kingdom were sent, detailing the assassination and imploring the princes to travel to Umbra immediately. By now, the one to Lux was long overdue, and the Prince of Lux should already be here, yet he was nowhere to be found. It wasn't a surprise. Everyone expected as much from Lux.

On the other hand, the one to Vita would have just arrived, and the next heir to the Vitan throne would be on his way to Umbra. If he took to the skies, he would take less than a week to reach the far south. By land, a fortnight.

Whatever the Prince of Vita chose, it didn't matter. Time was of the essence, but the Prince of Lux was a cause for delay. No one expected him to come, anyway.