Chapter 6

"Since you've been gone pain was what held me in this world, but I no longer wanted to feel anything, let alone pain"

The sun was going down and families were starting to go into shops to have dinner while other people started to head home whether to end the day with a quick meal or to finally see their loved ones after a long day of work. Some others were at home probably getting ready to go out, to have fun and to enjoy life as they should. And after staying a couple more seconds sitting on the stairs staring at the world, the photographer got up and decided to finish everything planned for the day.

Our photographer walked slowly to where everything had started, they walked automatically without any stops, and this time their face was blank with a slight hint of determination. But that was nothing but their outward appearance, their heart felt heavy and somewhat constricted, as if a fist was around it. Their throat wasn't working properly and sometimes our photographer had to give a heavy sigh because every now and then it was as if their windpipes were trying to end things sooner and just decided to stop working not letting any air in or out.

Their feet felt like they would give out and make them tumble down any moment, they felt completely unsteady. Although it felt like the next step would land them on the ground it never happened, step kept coming after step and it was as if when the time came they wouldn't be able to stop, but our photographer knew it wouldn't be so, they were too determined to finish every activity planned for this last day.

So even though it was hard to breathe, even though it felt as if their legs would give out without a warning, our photographer kept on walking, embracing the sounds of the people around them for the last time, vaguely listening to the normal conversations and the giggles that came from what felt like everywhere, wondering if, had things been different, they would be walking this streets hand in hand having a normal conversation about the weather, or the flowers in the area. But the reality is that with the nature of our photographer, this ending was inevitable really, after all at some point or another the young artist wouldn't have been so young anymore and would still end six feet under and our photographer would remain the same. But that didn't make things less painful, that didn't make the fist around our photographer's heart release its hold or make their windpipe start working properly again....no, because at the end of the day it still would have meant more time together, at the end of the day it would have meant more memories, whether they be happy or sad, more memories is always better, whether they brought happiness or pain.

Their feet were starting to hurt a bit because of all the walking, but what is physical pain in comparison to a shattered heart and soul? In any case the pier was starting to be on sight and the stars in the sky were starting to shine announcing that the day was coming to its final hours.

Once our photographer reached the end of the pier they sat down on the same place where they had started the day and took two things out of their bag, a bottle of cheap rum and a piece of wood taken out of a magnolia tree, the young artist's favorite kind of tree. And while staring at the sky they took a swing of rum for every constellation they could remember and identify. This went on for some time until the bottle was completely empty, and our photographer's inhibitions stopped working properly. As they stared into the ocean their body started to sway with the rhythm of the waves while holding the piece of magnolia wood in their hands and holding it close.

They day was to its last minutes and our photographer was reminiscing about the past while felling the breeze start to get cooler, and as they stared at the piece of wood they held in their hands above their un-beating heart, they whispered their last words before everything turned to darkness and the pain in their soul was no more.