chapter 15.

and just like that
you became everything i ever wanted

۵

Rue sighed in frustration as she tightened both her ponytails and adjusted the white bonnet that sat on her head.

"They could be worse," Harry remarked causing Ashton to scoff.

"How could a bowtie be any worse?" He butted in.

It was a very rainy day and the three of them had met under Harry's concession stand to escape the rain just before they opened. Harry was sat on his stool as always with a piece of licorice in hand.

"I don't know why you're complaining, you're beyond fit Ash. Rue you're stunning. You both pull off your uniforms very well."

Rue shook her head, seeing as Harry had misunderstood her.

"No Harry, they're cute I agree, but don't you think the bonnet's a bit much?" She made a face, fixing the white fabric once again.

Ashton mumbled, "They're not cute at all."

Harry ignored him. "No, roller skates would be too much."

At the diner Luke worked at, both Harry and Rue had noticed the ladies' lack of sneakers and instead a pair of roller skates that took their place. They couldn't wait to rush back to the drive-in and gossip about the horrors to the rest of the staff.

"God, can you imagine me rolling around this yard with popcorn and drinks in my hands?" Rue cringed already imagining herself slipping and falling - completely busting it.

Harry laughed. "What if you can't stop yourself and run into the back of someone's car?"

Ashton also laughed.

"Shut up." She hurled a piece of straw paper at him though it didn't go far. Instead it flew straight down to her feet, only inches away.

They silently watched it float to the ground.

"Mm," Rue groaned. "I don't feel like working today." She complained as she hopped up off the counter and headed for her trays.

"Same," Ashton agreed. He sighed and pocketed his employee card. He jumped over the bar of the concession stand. "See ya', Harry."

Rue and Ashton ran to their posts under the rain and Harry watched them leave.

He too sighed as he was now left alone with no one but his licorice, waiting to begin the new day.

"Morning Harry," A voice called out to him that he had hoped he could avoid forever. "I've refilled all the coolers in the back so we should be set." She smiled at him as she appeared through the door to the storage room.

Harry returned the smile, though he felt his stomach churn as she ran a hand through her beautiful blonde hair, just how Louis previously had. Her eyes were a similar blue to Louis' but while his were as bright as the sky, her's were as dark as blueberries.

"Cool. Thank you," He genuinely responded. He couldn't hate her no matter how much he wanted to.

She nodded before wandering off. Like Rue, she too wore her skirt with a pair of knee high stockings. Though her bonnet was no where to be found.

Harry picked at the skin surrounding his fingernails, a small frown across his beautiful face. He was sulking and the weather matched his new mood perfectly. A gloomy day for a sad, sad boy.

As the cars began to pull in he allowed his mind to wander and focused on fixing everyone's snacks. Every order was always so different from the other; creamed soda, cold popcorn, popcorn with only a few of the kernels popped, corn dogs with caramel syrup????

Harry thought today had been the weirdest one yet. He knew Rue would never believe him if he were to tell her that a young man had asked for his soda to be frozen and then watched as he ate it with a spoon. He was basically eating ice. Harry decided that one had won and nothing could beat his craving for iced soda.

That was until Louis and Luke walked in front of his post and Harry spotted white poking out of Louis' jacket. He decided just then that the bonnet made him more nauseous than the caramel corn dog.

They started heading his way, Luke leading them.

He wished for Luke to turn around.

"Hi Harry." Luke happily said, smiling at his new friend.

"D-Hi Luke." Harry smiled, mentally hurting himself for almost voicing his thoughts.

Not that he minded Luke, he actually really liked him. He simply did not enjoy seeing part of his coworker's uniform in Louis' jacket is all.

"Hello matching tattoo." Louis smiled sweetly - his tone making Harry melt.

He flushed. "Hi Louis."

"Don't remind me." Luke said.

"Popcorn please." Louis cheekily said.

"We aren't selling right now," Harry paused. "How did you even get in?"

Harry felt like he had taken a punch to the gut but nodded nonetheless and reached across the counter to meet Louis' hand. As he touched the fabric he felt his fingers graze Louis's skin, sending a shock through his body. He pulled back almost immediately.

He must not have been the only one to feel it as he saw the small, white cloth fall back on the counter and Louis' hand across his stomach; a familiar burn stinging them once again.

۵