chapter 22.

he became the love he searched for

۵

Harry continued to have his dreams for the next three nights. Vivid dreams far too off to be real but never forgotten. In fact, they no longer felt like dreams to Harry but more memories. He remembered every single one of them; he could recite them for hours if one allowed him.

Louis remained distant everytime. He rarely looked at Harry and rarely spoke. They were always in public surrounded by lots of people or the flashing cameras that he had grown to despise. He didn't understand why nor how so many could know who they were. Back in Harry's town he could count the people who knew them both on his two hands. Most fingers belonged to those who knew Louis of course.

Were they famous? No, they couldn't be.

Harry even tried to continue the dreams in hopes of getting some answers just out of curiosity. He would take naps through out his days or even just close his eyes and try to imagine them. Unfortunately, he received nothing. Even when he wrote down his dreams on a piece of paper and slipped it beneath his pillow at night, he fell to nothing but darkness.

Louis wasn't having these dreams. He asked.

Only Harry. Soon he would stop caring and simply give up.

"I just don't see why I would ignore you," Louis mumbled. "What a horrible me."

Harry shrugged. "You used to."

"Did not."

"Oh, you did." Harry said. He hoped Louis did not make him list all the times he didn't acknowledge Harry for they would be there all night. How embarrassed he'd also be.

"I just didn't know you, Harry." Louis said. "That's different."

Harry shook his head. "Not different, I didn't necessarily know you either."

"Necessarily?"

He lied. "I knew of you I mean."

"And what did you think?"

Harry blushed. He pondered, he knew what Louis had meant with his question but still he answered differently. He scratched the skin behind his ear then down to his neck. "Well, we know you're the one that has been stealing the Barlow packs."

Louis' face dropped for a quick second before he laughed. "Shit, no way?"

Harry nodded. Of course they knew, they had noticed the very first time one went missing only to later see Louis with it. Harry always had his eyes on Louis and that day in particular his eyes fell upon the missing Barlows in his hand.

Perhaps a coincidence. Maybe a kind gesture from a friend who bought them for Louis. Though one day Rue watched as the swift thief snatched them, confirming that Louis' friend had not bought the Barlows. 

Louis laughed once more. He continued to laugh as his face flushed to the prettiest shade of pink. "Man, and here I thought I was getting away with it."

Harry shook his head no.

"So what, you'd cover for me because you had a crush on me or something?" Louis teased.

Harry choked. Now it was his turn to blush bright pink.

"I do not have a crush on you." He panicked. His burning face saying otherwise.

Due to Harry's agitation the joke flew right over his head.

Louis laughed, dismissing the topic immediately. Though Louis' gaze lingered and caught Harry's eyes. There was an intensity behind them that caused Harry to stir. His mouth grew dry and he swallowed the lump in his throat before turning away from Louis' stare.

Louis broke his silence. "Why do you always look away?"

Harry said nothing. Only shrugged in response. He knew Louis could see the color across his cheeks.

"I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable." Louis spoke with such delicacy. His voice was of an angel's. "You're just too stunning to not look at."

Still Harry looked anywhere but into his blue eyes. His breath had hitched and he believed he had heard wrong. He played with his fingers as he did not know what to say. He wanted to smile and to scream and to express the emotions he felt from his beating heart.

Harry smiled only to bite his lip to keep him from doing so.

"God, those dimples."

Harry caved and his smile enlarged. He was flustered and his face had grown hot. "Quit."

"You quit."

Harry looked up. "What am I doing?"

Louis smiled, content to finally meet the boy's eyes again. "Not letting me admire you."

"I can't." He didn't explain what he couldn't do but Louis understood. He wanted to point out that he lets Harry look at him for as long as he wants and acts as though he doesn't notice but he kept quiet.

Louis leaned forward and Harry froze. He watched as the older boy brought his fingertips to sit against his cheek. Slowly, he brushed them down to hold his chin. Harry's breathing intensified and unlike before he couldn't look anywhere but into Louis' eyes.

Louis spoke gently, "So soft."

He was sure the boy could feel the heat from his face against his fingers. Harry remained still, too stunned to speak. He thought he imagined Louis close more space between them and press his lips to where his fingers had just been against his cheek.

But as he felt the moisture from Louis' soft lips on his skin, he knew it was real. Louis had kissed his cheek.

"For your hurting later, I'm sorry."

And just as quickly as he had came to him, he was up and on his feet. "Find me later." He said normally as if nothing had occurred. Then he was walking away. Leaving Harry flustered and holding his cheek.

He couldn't believe it. Did that just happened? His heart nearly burst from how fast it was beating against his chest. He wanted to scream and laugh and thank everyone for his life.

Only then did he remember what was to come. Suddenly he wasn't loving life all too much anymore. He was about to be in a lot of pain.

۵