𝟮 | Family

CHAPTER TWO

────── 〔☾〕──────Their Own Thoughts - Takahiro Obata ────── 〔☾〕──────

────── 〔☾〕──────
Their Own Thoughts - Takahiro Obata
────── 〔☾〕──────

The courtyard was wide and square shaped, the right side lined with a high wooden fence without gaps while the Mori estate sat directly to the right creating a small private barrier around it. The centre of the grounds was comprised of a rectangle of smooth dry grass that acted as the main sparring space while the north corner contained a small wooden shed full in training equipment ranging from wooden swords to real sharpened but expendable weaponry. Beside the small shed sat a cluster of cherry blossom trees.

Tetsuro stood in the centre of the spearing ring, black blots of ink covering the ground and her clothes.

Harsh pants escaped past her dry lips while sweat made her black baby hairs stick to her forehead and neck. Her clothes were rumpled and covered in splashed ink and stained with dry dirt. Over and over again, she summoned a weapon she had drawn from the parchment strategically placed around the field only to be knocked back down by Ishida and have her weapon melt away into a useless black puddle. The black haired girl could already feel the bruises forming. Her hands were scraped, knees slightly torn, while her bones ached from the hours she had been putting into her work. She probably smelt worse than she looked as well.

Despite all that, it remained surprisingly peaceful.

The young heiress lay sprawled on the floor, a product of her latest failed attack, with her kendo training gear tossed to the side unceremoniously. Her hakama pants were even rolled up weirdly. Her guardian was fairing much better, barley a strand of chestnut hair out of place.

"You know" Ishida hummed melodically as she twirled her naginata "this courtyard reminds me of a movie I watched a while ago. It's really annoying me that I can't remember what it was!"

Tetsuro could barley pant out "what's...a movie?"

"What's a movie?! Are you-Oh." The brunette let out an almost scandalised but playful gasp, amber eyes wide, before something much more grim settled over her gaze "I forget you've never left the compound"

A small breeze swayed through the courtyard. Tetsuros long black hair, pulled into two french braids intertwined with colourful silk strips, bumped against her back when she stumbled to her feet before she all but limped to the engawa. She could feel her thighs ache as she sat down. Thankfully, the wooden boards were cool and shaded by the curved wood and tile roof. Ishida moved forward and sat beside the girl. The heiress was by no mean small for her age but she was still dwarfed by her tall and broad guardian.