𝟯 | The Favourite

CHAPTER THREE

────── 〔☾〕──────The Dragon Boy - Joe Hisaishi────── 〔☾〕──────

────── 〔☾〕──────
The Dragon Boy - Joe Hisaishi
────── 〔☾〕──────

Hayates slim fingers threaded gently through Tetsuros long black locks as she continued to sleep beside him, eyes closed to the world and the storm raging just outside. She had come to him scared in the middle of the night but was embarrassed to admit that it was the thunder and lightning that shook her. He found it adorable. She had tried to play off coming to his room as her checking on him but had all but jumped under the covers when he offered to protect her. He supposed everyone, even strong little Tetsuro, had their fears. He wasn't surprised, after all she was still a child.

What did surprise him though was how she doubted his pride in her.

He had just concluded some business with the compounds medics and was glad to be home when he heard the words to Ishida. It struck him surprisingly hard, as well as angered him, that she could even doubt his words. Had he not provided everything for her so she could grow? Had he not proved how much he loved and adored her everyday by letting her sit beside him in the pagoda. A high honour. But she was still a child, he supposed she didn't know better. After all, her world view was intentionally small and controlled, everything witnessed by her eyes being approved by his own first. He couldn't have her mind tainted.

After all, she was perfect.

She was everything he had worked for all these long years. A perfect successor. Refined but already so powerful. Her body was strong and her mind malleable, ready to be moulded like clay under his hands.

But most importantly, she inherited his technique.

It was a relief when she did, she was his favourite after all. So strong, so much like him. The children he had in the past were adequate but had never reached the milestones he wanted so he was forced to get rid of them as well as their mothers. Couldn't have failures running around, now could he. It would of been embarrassing. His followers barley noticed. How could they? So preoccupied with the desperate search for the salvation he promised them, the afterlife of Eternal Paradise only he could provide. Their simple minds were so sweet.

His mind however wandered to Ishida.

She was strong, trained in martial arts even before joining them, but her mind was tired after her life plans fell through. She had been more then happy to hand over control to someone else. So sad, so low. Hayate supposed when you're life falls apart, it's easier to let someone build it back up for you. He respected and trusted her enough to be around Tetsuro but the anger that bubbled in his stomach after hearing Tetsuro doubt him because of something she said was near blinding. Tetsuro was his daughter, his only chosen heir to a kingdom he had built from the ground up. Her faith should be unwavering.