Chapter 23: Paralyzed

Author's Note(s):
Before we start, I need to say a few things. First, the video above is included for multiple reasons. It's not like the other chapters where you play the video when I say at a certain point in the chapter. I will include it but in a different way.

I highly recommend watching the video before we start. I'm sorry if it makes you cry, it made me cry too. However, it's absolutely beautiful how it's put together, and I feel like it fits so well. It is definitely worth the 4 minutes and 14 seconds! I've watched it over and over again since I found it, and I can't get over how good it is. Please watch it!

Now, as I mentioned before, this video is going to be put into the chapter differently. This video sets how Severus is feeling this entire chapter, so he's not just going to sing it and be done. He will sing a piece of it at one point, but this song will be included in this more than that. Therefore, I won't be telling you to play the video with it. I'm trying something new to express how he feels, I hope you guys like it this way!

Story Note(s):
The rights to the song and the clips do not go to me! This video does not belong to me! I did not create it, and I am not trying to take credit for it!

Warning: This chapter contains themes of depression. Please don't read if it triggers you in any way. Contact me if you do skip, and I'll reply as soon as I can with a summary of it for you so you aren't confused.

Third Person's POV

As the two spells simultaneously flew towards Severus, he didn't even attempt to block it. He closed his eyes, awaiting his death. However, all three of the men in the room seemed to forget one thing. They weren't alone.

The elves gave a cry of outrage when the two wizards launched their spells. All one hundred and one of them huddled around the professor in a protective circle, and in unison, all of them raised their right hand.

They glared at the men in front of them as a wave of magic rippled around them, forming a shield around the Potions Master. When the spells came in contact with the forcefield, they ricocheted off and hit their casters square in the chest. Both wizards fell to the ground, one screaming in pain as the purple flames slowly killed him, the other dying instantly.

The door burst open the second the last of the flames faded, revealing Hermione and Remus, panting a bit from running. As they took in the scene in front of them, both gasped in shock at the bodies lying dead on the ground.

Before they could begin to ask anything, Dobby stepped forward and launched into the tale. By the end of it, Hermione was beaming at all of the elves, while Remus cautiously walked forward to Severus, who had gone back to searching the kitchens for more firewhiskey.

"Severus, you can't drink any more firewhiskey, you've clearly drunk enough," Remus said, stopping him from looking.

"You can't stop me," Severus muttered back.

Remus smirked and announced, "House-elves, you are forbidden to give Severus any more alcohol, or allow him to touch it unless you personally check with me."

Instead of getting mad, Severus just turned away from him and walked out, still stumbling slightly.

When did I become so numb?

Remus looked confused at his reaction and quickly walked out to follow him. "Severus, you aren't acting like yourself, are you alright?" he asked.

When did I lose myself?

"I'm fine, Lupin. Just let me go to bed," Severus answered.

All the words that leave my tongue
Feel like they came from someone else