CHAPTER 27: A BIRTHDAY TO REMEMBER

Moving away from the topic of her mother's ring, Katja questioned Wolf about the unexpected lunch invitation, and Wolf admitted he'd told Tante Winola about her birthday; in fact, the main reason he'd stayed behind that morning had been to write a note informing the librarian of the importance of the day.

Apparently he'd written the note while human, then carried it in his mouth in wolf-form until he'd found a Helferin, who had accepted it without question and successfully delivered it. After hearing the whole story, Katja had to admit he'd been quite clever.

Over a lunch of delicious apple and fig spread sandwiches in Tante Winola's cozy living space, Katja showed the witches her mother's ring.

"I wish Tante Maedra and Tante Gerta knew more about it," she said. "When Wolf first saw it, he said he smelled the Waldkonig's magic on it."

Tante Winola's eyes widened, and she glanced fearfully at Wolf.

"How do you know it's his magic?" she asked hoarsely, which surprised Katja. She'd never seen anything upset the librarian before.

Then again, both she and Tante Hedda had family members who had actually experienced the Great Purge firsthand, which made it far more real than simply reading a stranger's account in a book.

"I don't know about the Black Forest now," Wolf said carefully, "but back when I lived there, the Waldkonig wasn't as much feared as he was respected. I know he did terrible things, both to witches and Nichts," he added quickly, "I'm just trying to say things were different, before I went into the necklace.

"One of the benefits of being a shapeshifter is having an advanced sense of smell, and when I roamed the forest as a wolf, I came to understand the different odors. The Waldkonig's magic has a scent all its own."

"That's extraordinary," marveled Tante Hedda, helping herself to another sandwich. "Could you tell if he's still alive if you were to go into the Schwarzwald now?"

Wolf shrugged. "I'm not sure, but it really doesn't matter. I can't go far from the necklace, and Katja can't enter the forest."

"I'd like to learn more about the Waldkonig, though," said Katja. "I've never heard anything about him being able to shape metal, but I also don't doubt Wolf's nose. Plus, now he's a connection to my mother, at least distantly..." her voice trailed off, and she swallowed down the words she really wanted to say: And even reading about someone who might have made something she ultimately came to own makes me feel closer to her.

Tante Winola nodded understandingly. "Of course. Why don't you and Wolf go outside and enjoy the rest of this lovely day, and I'll see what I can find in the library? I'll send whatever seems promising to your room."

A look out the window in the far back of the apartment assured Katja it was indeed a lovely day, the always exuberant spring having given way to summer. The sky was a bright, cheerful blue, and being outdoors did sound nice.

"I think a walk sounds fantastic!" Wolf exclaimed. "We could even go visit one of the nearby villages!"

"That could be nice," agreed Katja. She'd never been brave enough to visit the nearest village by herself, but going with Wolf would make it much more enjoyable.

She helped Tante Winola carry the lunch dishes into her small kitchen and returned to find Wolf and Tante Hedda deep in conversation about something. Before she could join in, though, Wolf quickly transformed into wolf-form, his tail swishing excitedly behind him.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Let's go," replied Katja, excitement and nervousness mixing in her stomach.