CHAPTER 35: CREATURES OF THE SCHWARZWALD

The following morning, Katja thought she could smell the faint scent of water in the distance, and she sighed with happiness a few hours later when the trees gave way to reveal a vast lake.

The water was so clear, it reflected the surrounding rocks and pines, making it difficult to tell what was real and what was merely a reflection. Small stones, long used to being gently caressed by the water, formed a sort of bank, but the edges were otherwise covered with hardy water plants. Pink and white water lilies floated lazily on the still water, and frogs called out to one another as dragonflies buzzed past.

"That's Mount Horinsgrinde," offered Wolf, gesturing with his head towards the towering peak nearby, and Katja admired the snow-covered mountain before crouching down, wondering if the lake water was warm or cool.

As she extended her hand, however, Wolf gave such a sharp bark she stumbled backwards, losing her footing and sitting down hard.

"Don't touch the water," he warned. "Fish don't survive long in this lake. Some people say it's due to the poor quality of the water, but locals say it's because of the Underwater King."

"Who's that?" asked Katja, not having heard the name before.

Wolf stepped closer to her. "According to legend, he used to watch the women who came to the shores of his lake to bathe or swim, and after centuries of loneliness and isolation, he finally dragged one down to serve as his queen.

"Even with his impressive magic, though, he could only keep her alive for a while, since she was a human and not meant to live underwater. That means every few years the Underwater King rises from his kingdom, slipping around the banks and peering through the reeds to find another unsuspecting woman to become his queen. If you disturb the water, you're only altering him to your presence."

Katja nodded, eyes wide, grateful for the warning.

"Of course," continued Wolf, "that's not the only version of the story. In fact, my favorite version involves the Underwater King living at the bottom of the lake with a band of mermaids—have you heard that one?"

"No," replied Katja, fighting down a smile when Wolf's ears pricked upwards, and his tail began to wag. It was nice to see him excited about something. "But I'd love to hear you tell it."

"Well," said Wolf, leaping onto a fallen log and clearly warming to the topic, "the Underwater King permitted the mermaids to visit the world above the water as long as they returned before the stars vanished each morning.

"As you would expect in a tale such as this, the most beautiful mermaid of them all eventually fell in love with a village boy, a woodworker, and she spent every night on the shores of the lake, laughing and singing and kissing her love. Then, one night, she was so happy and having such a good time she didn't realize all of the stars had disappeared...dawn was approaching, but it was too late."

Katja held her breath, intuiting the story didn't have a happy ending but determined to hear it through, nevertheless.

Wolf continued.

"The mermaid told the woodworker, 'I do not know if we shall see each other again, as I do not know what awaits me when I return to the bottom of the lake. If you see blood on the water after I leave, you will know I have lost my life. But even if I do, know that I have loved every moment spent with you.' She kissed him one last time and dove deep beneath the water.

"The woodworker thought surely nothing so terrible would happen, but he stayed on the shore to see for himself. As the sun broke over the trees, the lake rippled, and a cloud of blood rose to the surface. The woodworker sobbed, heart-broken over the loss of the mermaid who had died because of her love for him."