CHAPTER 38: CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES

A strangled cry escaped Katja's throat, and she dropped her face into her hands, unable to look at the man before her.

All the times she'd wondered about her father, imagining where he might live and what he might look like and how his laugh might sound crashed over her.

She was the daughter of a monster.

How dare she think she could criticize Wolf for his decisions, when her own father was intent on destroying the world.

"I know it has to come as quite a shock," the Waldkonig offered gently. "You were so young. I doubt you have any memories of your life here."

Slowly, Katja raised her head and opened her eyes. "For as long I can remember, I've had dreams of vines covered in thorns," she said. "Does that have something to do with the Schwarzwald?"

The Waldkonig—she couldn't yet think of him as her father—nodded.

"That's how you got your scars," he said, and without meaning to, Katja stepped towards him, desperate for even the slightest bit of information regarding the origin of the defects she'd hated for so long.

"Shortly after you were born, it became obvious you had inherited both of your parents' gifts," continued Kobald. "You could manipulate metal as easily as you could communicate with the forest. It was remarkable. You were exactly what I needed to expand the forest and rid the world of everyone who didn't deserve to live within my boundaries."

He frowned. "Unfortunately, your mother correctly guessed the plans I had for you, and she disagreed with them. She didn't believe the price it took to expand the forest was worth it, even though I assured her it would be far easier with your help."

He shook his head. "She refused to be reasoned with, though, and one day she made her escape. You were struck by vines as your mother attempted to flee with you, but you have to understand, I never meant to hurt you. I didn't know you could be hurt by my magic...I assumed you were immune to it, being my daughter, but since you also possessed your mother's witch blood, unfortunately, my magic was able to injure you."

"Is that why none of the Hexen could heal the scars?" asked Katja.

Kobald nodded. "Witch magic cannot undo something I've done. But, even though I inadvertently gave you the scars, I am also the only one who can heal them."

Katja stared at him, and he inclined his head.

"Join me," he said, his voice deep and commanding, "and I will heal you and help you take your rightful place in the coming world."

"Join you?" Katja stared at him, feeling as if she was surfacing after a long time underwater.

"I need your help in order to continue what your mother and I started," explained the Forest King. "I can expand the forest, but I need your metallurgy skills to properly equip the Schwarzwald for battle. Only a few of the experiments your mother and I created survived after her death, but I'm certain you can pick up where she left off."

Katja thought back to the sick-looking plants and half-dead animals she'd seen while traveling through the forest. Glancing down at the black veins snaking through the grass beneath her feet, she let her eyes follow them to their endpoint—which happened to be at the base of Kobald's throne.

"You're the one making the Schwarzwald ill," she said, anger flaring in her chest. "You're supposed to protect the forest, but instead, you're hurting it!"

"Yes," agreed Kobald, not even trying to deny it. "The only way I can expand the Schwarzwald is by drawing on the power of the beings who live here."