【Chapter seven (part 2)】

The airport is relatively tiny, with only about six planes parked on the runway and a few terminals. It reminds me of the one I had near my home. It was much larger, of course, but the resemblance is there. The only thing I find off putting is the fact that nobody aside from our group is inside. Airports are usually filled with people, but here we are, completely alone. Our only company is the slight wind blowing through the open entrance. It feels as if I'm inside a husk.

These planes would be a wonderful spot to hide either yourself or a body.

"Huh," I mumble. "It's a shame that this place was never utilized. It had so much potential."

"What're you talking about?" Ibuki chirps, leaning in towards my face. "Are you planning a muuurder~?"

I freeze in my tracks. "What? Of course not! I was just thinking about how sad it is that the building has no use, unlike every other place we've visited. There's nothing here except a few creaky, non-functional planes. The rest is just wasted space." I inhale deeply before shouting out. "ECHO!" The sound ricochets off of the walls, zooming around the hollow vicinity, slowly fading with each repetition.

Kazuichi jumps. I chuckle. "That's pretty fucking neat."

The poor boy pulls his beanie over his eyes and hides behind me. "This place gives me the creeps. Can we leave soon? It wasn't nearly as eerie last time I was here."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Lad, with all due respect, you were the one who decided to follow us around without our consent. Leaving now'd be pretty fickle."

"I-" he pauses. "You're right." Even after saying that, a small whimper escapes his lips. "Haunted," he mumbles. "This place is definitely haunted."

"Come on. Aren't you supposed to make up most of the testosterone here?" Mahiru huffs. "Stop whining."

I raise my hands in defense. "Woah there. Masculinity doesn't entail a complete lack of fear."

Kazuichi nods his head frantically. "Yeah, what she said!"

"Still," Mahiru says, "He's being irrational. Why would ghosts be here, of all places? It's nothing more than an empty airport."

"Did someone mention ghosts?" Sonia cooes, leaning towards me with eyes sparkling in excitement. "You know, my aunt is in possession of an ancient haunted doll. It's a famous artifact in Novoselic. Legend says that the ghost of the first monarch of our country resides inside of it. She allowed me to play with it often in my childhood. Such a mystery it was."

A phantom shiver runs down my spine. "Oh?" I choke out. "Why would you keep such a thing in close proximity? Is the prospect of a haunted doll not scary?"

Sonia laughs, her ladylike giggles twist though the hanger's acoustics until it nearly sounds shrill. "No, not in the slightest. My aunt and I have very similar interests. In fact, she collects supposedly cursed objects as a hobby! I, myself, have a taste for serial killers."

I release a shuddering sigh, cracking my knuckles to relieve stress.

Souda trembles, all colour draining from his face. He places his pinky fingers in his ears and closes his eyes. "Please, no, no, noooo."

"Kazu--" I reach out to him, but he cuts me off with a high pitched screech.

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

Don't laugh. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it.

A snort escapes me before I can stop it.

"Hm?" Mahiru hums. "Did you say something?"

I wipe my mouth, pretending to be disoriented. "Oh, this is so embarrassing. I seem to have sneezed. I think we should leave soon and get a tissue."

Ibuki sniffs the air, nodding. "Yeah, it's pretty darn dusty here. Besides, we've yet to visit the beach, and dinnertime is getting suuuuper close~! That just won't do."

I blink, furrowing my eyebrows and pursing my lips ever so slightly. "We've been touring for a while, haven't we?" I mutter. "Time certainly does fly here."

Kazuichi responds with a whimper, huddled into a corner.

All right. I'm well aware that this part is shorter than the one prior, but I wanted to give you something at the very least. After all, it's been two entire months, and I still somehow haven't completed the chapter. I hope with all my heart that you enjoyed this little tidbit. Have a lovely day, my precious readers!