Chapter 6: Nothing Compares 2 U

James was still cursing himself the next day as the house guests gathered outside on the duke's extensive grounds for various activities. He'd come on too strong and had scared Penelope away. He'd been enjoying himself too much, spending the evening by her side, and after a few glasses of punch, he'd been unable to stay quiet. Or keep his hands to himself. But damn it, he didn't want to keep his hands to himself.

The crisp winter air nipped at his face as he walked across the frosted grass towards a pond where some guests were ice skating, glad for his warm greatcoat. Two servants served warm mulled wine to help people stay warm, and he gratefully accepted a cup. Watching the skaters, he caught sight of Penelope gracefully skating next to a dark-haired lady he didn't know, their arms linked. He smiled at the sight. Just seeing her chased some of the cold away, replacing it with a warmth that settled deep in his belly.

Damn it, but he wanted this woman. None of the other prospects made him smile by their mere presence. No other woman had ever plagued his thoughts like Penelope. There had been no one else for him, and he suspected there never would be. He just needed to convince her to give him a chance.

"How's the wife hunting going?"

Turning his head to see Wortham, he groaned inwardly. The earl held a cup of mulled wine in his hands as he watched his wife skate with two young boys with varying degrees of success.

"As well as can be expected," he muttered. "Why don't you help Jessica with the boys?"

Wortham turned his head to him and grinned. "And miss the show? Never."

"You don't deserve her."

"I don't," he agreed. "But she doesn't want me to help. Apparently, it's not conducive to the boys learning to have someone laughing at them."

James rolled his eyes. "Who'd have thought?"

"I'll have you know I laugh with them, not at them." Wortham shrugged. "But she still won't let me help. The boys get too excited and only want to play."

Taking a sip of the warm wine, James enjoyed the feeling of it warming him from the inside out.

"So, Lady Mapleton?" Wortham queried casually.

"Hmm?" He wasn't sure he wanted to have this conversation with his friend. Wortham wasn't exactly known for being the most helpful person around. Though at least he was usually honest in his opinions. Brutally so.

"Are you pursuing her?"

"I don't know," he admitted. "I'd like to but she's rebuffed me."

Wortham raised a dark eyebrow. "Really? She appeared quite... eh, happy... when I saw you last night."

"Things took a turn after you left. She said she will help me find a wife, nothing more." He sighed. Why had he not kept his big mouth shut? No, he had to apologise, reminding her of all the reasons she didn't like him.

"She's a widow."

He glanced at his friend. "And?"

"Well," Wortham hedged as he took another sip of his drink. "Maybe she doesn't want to remarry. Widows gain a certain level of freedom not afforded to wives. No one to tell them what to do anymore, access to their own finances. Not to mention that she would lose her dower if she was to remarry. And as I remember, your entire reason for finding a wife in the first place is that you need something to boost your coffers."

He frowned. While he didn't want to admit it, he'd not considered that. While he'd begun contemplating his options going forward if he didn't find a wife with a sizable dowry, he'd not considered what Penelope would lose in marrying him. Was that it? Looking back out over the frozen-over pond, he caught her watching him, and she immediately looked away. She was definitely attracted to him, but that wouldn't be enough if she wasn't willing to give up her newly won freedom. Freedom he could understand if she wanted to keep.