Chapter 9: We Belong Together

James woke up to Penelope poking him. With a grunt, he pulled her closer and buried his nose in her soft hair, enjoying her warm body snuggled up against his own.

"You must leave," she said, wriggling against him, her bottom pushing against his groin.

"I'd rather stay here," he mumbled, pulling her a little closer still, letting her feel exactly what he would rather do. She stilled, and he immediately took advantage by sliding his hand up to cup her breast, his thumb grazing her nipple.

She let out a quiet moan. "James. No. It's nearly dawn. The maids will arrive. They can't find you here."

Finally opening his eyes, he saw the first hints of daylight peering in from behind the pulled curtains. Damn it. He'd have preferred to stay in bed with her. With a sigh, he turned her around and gave her a final, lingering kiss before forcing himself out of bed before he got too carried away. She rolled onto her side and watched him as he dressed.

"I forgot to ask last night," she said as he buttoned his breeches. "How did you find my room? I never told you where it was."

Looking over at her, he smiled sheepishly. "I asked the lady of the house, and she found out for me."

"You asked the duchess?" She sat up, pulling the duvet up to cover herself. "What of the gossip?"

"Rain won't tell anyone," he promised. "She's my best friend's little sister. I've known her since she was knee-height."

He watched as she worried her lower lip with her teeth. There were better things one could do with those lips, but he shouldn't think about that, or he would never leave. Pulling on his shirt, he tucked it into the breeches before finding his stockings and shoes.

"Oh." He gave her a sheepish grin. "I did knock on the wrong door at first. Had a very awkward conversation with a Lady Mallard."

"You didn't!" Penelope hid her mouth under the duvet as she laughed. "That is so embarrassing. What did you tell her?"

"I said I was looking for Lord and Lady Wortham. I figured their room must be around here too." He smiled. "Your stellar reputation should be safe."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not a prude, but we both know society does not look kindly on a woman who has affairs outside of marriage. They barely tolerate rakes like you."

"I'm not so bad," he muttered, which only garnered him a raised eyebrow. "There are worse ones."

"Not sure that's much of a bar, James."

He chuckled. "Probably not."

Walking over to the bed, he leaned down and kissed her. She tasted like everything he wanted. Warm and welcoming. Lifting his hands to cradle her head, he deepened the kiss before pulling away. She looked up at him, her strawberry-blonde hair a long mess down her back and shoulders, her lips plump from kissing. He groaned.

"I had better leave now." He smiled crookedly. "If I don't, I never will."

She nodded, and he could have sworn there was a shadow of sadness flitting across her face, but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared, and might have been a trick of the light.

"I'll see you later." He left the room before the temptation of jumping back into bed got too big. As much as he didn't care if someone saw them, he knew she did, and she was right that her reputation would suffer. He didn't want that for her. She would have whatever she wanted. If it was in his power to give, it would be hers.

He shook his head, smiling at the sappiness of his own thoughts. But damn it, if he didn't love Penelope, and he would do anything to convince her they were meant to be together.