Chapter 8

Rather than be interrogated by Snape, I hurried off to my dorm room, knowing very well that male's couldn't enter, not even a teacher. Pansy came in less than an hour later to find me sitting on my bed, doing homework alone.

"Draco wants to talk to you," Pansy said.

"I'm busy," I mumbled.

"Oh come on Emma, he's parked himself at the bottom of the stairs. He's not leaving until you go and talk to him." Pansy said, crossing her arms and fixing me with a glare.

"I don't want to talk to him right now," I said firmly.

"Why? Do you really think he cares that you're a Parselmouth?" Pansy asked, eyebrows raised.

"Snape is down there," I explained, "I don't want to deal with his questions."

"So it has nothing to do with Draco?" Pansy asked.

"Nope, I would talk to him if Snape wasn't down there." I said, turning the page of my book and scribbling down another line for my essay.

"Okay, I'm going to go and try to convince him not to stay out there all night." Pansy said and left.

Once she was gone, my mind began to drift from my homework. How could I figure out who had opened the chamber the last time? I was sure that the older teachers would know. Dumbledore, Professor Sprout, McGonagall, Hagrid, maybe Flitwick... Hagrid! Hagrid had loose lips and often over shared confidential information. I was sure that if he knew, he could tell me who had opened the chamber. I would have to use the map to sneak out tomorrow and see him. Maybe I could pull it off during breakfast.

I awoke the next morning to find Hogwarts in the midst of a blizzard, which meant no Herbology for the day. That would leave me with a free period to go visit Hagrid. I was the first Slytherin down for breakfast, going down the stairs, I had to step over Draco's sleeping form. I couldn't believe he had really slept on the floor.

I kicked him lightly and he stirred, opening his eyes with exaggerated slowness.

"Look who finally decided to make an appearance," He grumbled.

"Yeah, yeah. Get up, we're going to breakfast. No herbology today, so I'm going to go see Hagrid. He was at Hogwarts fifty years ago so he might know something about the Chamber of Secrets that we don't." I said, already walking towards the exit.

"Right, I'll go with you." He said, scrambling to reach my side.

"No, you won't. You don't like Hagrid and I don't think he's very fond of you either."

"So?" He asked defensively.

"He's less likely to tell me anything if you're there with me.

He was reluctant to admit that I was right, but eventually gave in. "Fine."

We entered the Great Hall to find only the teachers and one Ravenclaw inside. The Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Slytherin tables were completely empty of food. But, as soon as we sat, the table was magically filled with delicious foods.

"So," I knew Draco was about to get into the whole Slytherin heir bit from last night, "Are you related to Salazar Slytherin?"

I took a swig of pumpkin juice and piled bacon onto my plate, "I really don't know. My mom was muggleborn and my dad was pureblooded I think. I know he had at least one wizard parent. Yeah, I think he was a pureblood. But I live with my mom's sister and her husband and son. They're all muggles and talking about anything out of the ordinary is forbidden. So I don't know anything about my dad's side of the family." I finished lamely. He was still looking at me expectantly, "But I'm not the one opening the chamber, if that's what you are really asking me."