Chapter 10

There was a pit in my stomach that had taken residence since the day Hermione had been petrified. A certain sense of foreboding refused to leave me alone and even Draco tried to become more solemn whenever he was around me. It was nice that he never asked why I was so upset by Hermione's petrification.

The lot of us were escorted everywhere and many of my fellow Slytherins had taken to complaining about it. None of them thought they were in any danger and didn't care about those who were.

I had taken to walking down the halls between classes with the Marauders map out, just watching my brother's little dot. If my Tom Riddle theory was correct then Harry was in more danger than anyone else. It reached the point where Draco would just grab my elbow and steer me down the hall to make sure I didn't crash into anyone.

Draco was extremely interested in the map. He had never seen anything like it before, making it rare, possibly unique. The only times I could relax were during herbology and potions, both of which the Slytherins had with the Gryffindors, so I could keep a close eye on Harry.

"Why are you staring at Potter?" Draco asked me one day.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, "What? I- sorry. No, I'm not staring at him. I just- it's so weird seeing those two without Granger, that's all."

***

The next day at breakfast, Hagrid was mysteriously absent from the staff table. Immediately I pulled out my map and searched the castle, if he was anywhere inside, I would be able to see him.  No luck. He was no where to be found.

As I was leaving the great hall, I managed to give Draco the slip. I pulled Harry and Ron aside and asked, "Do you know where Hagrid is?"

Harry and Ron looked rather solemn. "Emma, he's been sent to Azkaban."

My heart stopped beating in my chest. First Hermione and now Hagrid. It must be because of the chamber, this needed to stop, now more than ever.

"We have to catch Slytherin's heir soon, we can't let Hagrid go down for this." I seethed. Ron and Harry nodded their agreement.

"I still think its Malfoy," Ron sneered, "His dad was there when they arrested Hagrid and he was positively glowing."

I rolled my eyes at his utter stupidity.

"Ron, we know it isn't him." Harry said cryptically.

I began to walk away when Harry called me back, "Emma, there's something else. Dumbledore's gone."

"Gone?!" I nearly screamed, catching myself at the last moment, turning the word to a hiss, "Gone how? Where?"

"Malfoy got him thrown out." Ron said, not even trying to keep the hate from his voice.

My heart was racing, Dumbledore gone? Harry was a dead man. My hands began to shake.

"Are you worried?" I asked Harry, it was an effort to keep my voice from cracking.