Chapter 11

Text
"We didn't do it!" Draco said, "We just found it."

McGonagall didn't seem to be listening, she had sprinted past them to examine the words.

Then her wand was to her throat and she was saying, magically magnified to be heard by the whole school, "All students to return to their House dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately, please." Then at a normal volume, "You two as well, go."

Without a further word, she dashed off towards the staff room.

We wasted no time returning to our common room to tell everyone what we had seen.

Neither Draco or I spoke the entire way back.

Silently, I pulled out the map to check on Hermione. She was still in the hospital wing, alive and petrified. Relief flooded through me, she had been the only girl I knew who was in real danger. But if not her... then who?

Draco muttered the password and I looked up, realizing that we were at the entrance to our common room. We entered the empty room, no surprise there, we had been the closest.

Slowly, students began to trickle inside, buzzing with conversation.

I caught bits and pieces of their conversations.

"What do you think happened?"

"Is Snape coming?"

"I heard someone say..."

"... hope he gets here soon."

"I bet the Prefects will know something, let's ask..."

Pansy, Millicent, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle finally came in and huddled around us.

"Where did you go?" Pansy asked accusingly.

At the same time, Blaise said, "Look who's friends again."

I chose to ignore them both.

"Any idea what this is about?" Asked Millicent, gesturing to the crowded common room.

"Someone was taken into the chamber of the secrets." I said, refusing to take my eyes off of the map. I was frantically scanning it, searching for every girl I knew.

"Ooo who do you think it was?" Pansy asked, a little too cheerfully.

By this point everyone was in either their designated common room or the staff room. With the exception of Lockhart; who had just left his office and was running down a corridor, towards the staff room, Moaning Myrtle; who never left her bathroom and.... I came up short. Harry and Ron... were in the corner of the staff room. What the hell were they doing in there?