the move

y/n: vince.. you know i-

vincent: i know. i know its your dream but i was hoping i could be your dream too, this is a year compared to a lifetime with me.

y/n: who says we would even be together, were not even together now. were just friends vince. you know that.

vincent: i was just hoping..

y/n: we are both in two different places right now, im not even ready for a relationship. and you know me better than anyone, i cant do long distance. you know that.

vincent stayed silent.

y/n: vince, say something.

vincent: youre right. i dont know what i was thinking. i shouldnt have said anything, where do you want to go for dinner?

he moved on with the subject like nothing had happened. but i couldnt pretend that nothing happened. deep inside i wanted to say yes but it just wasnt practical.

*incoming phone call from mom*

mom: hi honey.

y/n: hi mom, im out to dinner with vince right now. im sorry i didnt leave a note or call or anything i forgot and-

mom: forget about it. its ok i trust you. thats not what im calling about. i wanted to ask you about the cali union scholarship. i know you got in, i checked my email this morning from coach platte.

y/n: oh? yeah. i wanted to go, but i dont know if i have what it takes. i mean yeah im good at soccer, and i have skill but its a huge opportunity and i dont want to blow it.

mom: i think you should go, i dont want to force it on you because its YOUR opportunity but i want you to feel comfortable with talking to me about these things and following your dreams.

y/n: i was going to tell you, it just didnt come up. and i was thinking about if i even wanted to go and i-

mom: i dont want you to feel overwhelmed but if you decide to go ill gladly be supportive.

mom hung up. i sat in vinces car staring off into space.

vincent: what was all that about? was it about cali union?

y/n: yeah. um, i think im gonna go. i think thats whats best for everyone right now. and its less stress on my mom, only a few mouths to feed. my sisters never going to move out and i want my mom to be able to afford their lives.

vincent: nisha cant live in the house forever. shes a grown woman, i love her and your whole family but thats not how its supposed to work. her lack of work ethic shouldnt push you away from your hometown.

y/n: no its not that. nisha can make it on her own she's successful but that doesnt mean she has to move out. shes 19, she doesnt need pushed away either.

vincent: not at all what im trying to say. nisha is grown tho, can make her own food and supply for HERSELF.

y/n: just because weve been friends for my whole life doesnt mean you get to give ME a run down on my own family vince.

vincent: yes i get that but-

y/n: just drop me off at the next stop. ill have jenna pick me up. or lane. i dont know, ill talk to you later.

he didnt even try to fight me. he dropped me off. i can't believe i was seriously ever considering staying here for him.
i ended up calling jenna and she came and picked me up. lane sat in the back and let me and jen talk about everything, and she took me home. she stopped in the driveway.

y/n: thankyou jen. and thankyou lane.

lane: youre welcome.

jenna: please call me anytime, about anything. and vincent doesnt know what hes talking about, hes a clueless teenage boy. he was just saying stuff, doesnt justify him talking about your family like that but im sure he had good intentions.

y/n: i would hope so. hey, lane plug your ears.

lane: what- im not a child anymore im not going to-

jenna looked at him.
lane plugged his ears and looked out the window.

y/n: i leave next week. i got a call earlier today. do i even tell vince?

jenna: yes. you tell vince.

————————————————————————
leaving day
todays the day that i leave for cali. the captain of the debate team, noah franklin, is riding the bus with us, as well as the rest of his group.

the bus pulled up to the school house. vincent was standing there at the door. we hadnt spoken since the car ride.

vincent: im gonna miss you gomez.

y/n: im gonna miss you too polia.

we shared a long hug. and i went to jenna.
jenna started to tear up.

jenna: im going to miss you more than anything. i love you.

y/n: when you cry i cry. i love you jen.

we hugged. and then i was off. cheers to new memories, in a new state, new friends, same sport.