Life changing discussions...

We sat down beside one of the gaint anchors in a corner of the harbor. The river raced against the cool breeze. In the silence , the sound of water hitting the harbor was crystal clear. Rather than sleeping in home, this was much better , just because I was with my friends now.

With our arms wide open, we breathed deep and long, inhaling the fresh, chill air still intoxicated by the beauty of this place. That was when Suga hyung spoke up.

"So?" he asked, looking at Jin hyung.

"What?" Jin hyung asked in return, not understanding Suga's "So".

"So, how is this place, dammit"?.

"Oh! This place? I cannot think of a better place than this. This is heaven."

And then , again a cool breeze blew, embracing us. We lay down on the harbor.

That was when the discussion started. A serious discussion; a discussion that changed my life. It started with another "So".

"So?" Jin hyung asked this time, looking at Suga.

"What?" Suga asked, raising his chin.

"What's the next important thing?" Jin asked.

"You mean dinner?" Jungkookie jumped in.

"No, I mean the next important thing in life. Schooling-done, engineering-done, getting a job-done, going abroad-done, Bank balance-in progress. What's the next milestone?"

"Ah! I know what you're talking about," Suga nodded. "Ask him," he said pointing his already raised chin towards me.

Everyone looked at me.

"I don't know what's goin on in your life and family , but my mom and dad are going crazy. They're after me you like, you wouldn't believe. Don't I make a good bachelor?" I said.

"The story is the same everywhere. We poor bachelors," Namjoon said trying to be funny.

"I am serious, Joon," Jin said.

"So, have you or your family fixed something?" I asked him.

"No. My story is just like yours. But the fact is that, one day, we'll have to settle down with a life-partner. How long can we ignore our parents questions? They too have expectations, wishes and dreams for us."

"I know what you mean Jin. But are you really ready to spend your whole life with someone? I mean , in our four years at the hostel, there were so many times when we had to adjust with each other...This one will be for a lifetime," Suga said.

"But sooner or later, we have to do this, right?" Joon asked.

"What if we just carry on the way we are?" Jiminie who was quiet this whole time, questioned.

"Then imagine yourself at the age of 60, living alone. Life isn't that easy, my friend. It's a journey. And the best way to complete it is with a life partner," Jin said.

That night, on the bank of the river, the seven of us discussed this issue seriously, for the first time. Maybe it was the first time we felt we were mature enough to talk about it. So many questions, ifs and buts were raised and answered between us. So many views were brought in and debated. None of us were against marriage but we wanted to evaluate its benefits. Jin and I were quiet convinced about the marriage thing. And this discussion made rest of the group to think about the matter quiet seriously, even if I didn't convince them.( which reminds me of a slogan I read on a T-shirt: IF you can't convince her, just confuse her!)

"But then, other things come into the picture. Love marriage or arranged marriage? Parent's choice or ours's?" Taehyungie asked.

"Now, that's a personal choice. But given that we are independent I don't think our parents will object to our decision," Joon said.