+ enough

A TRICKY THING, YOU SEE, dating your best friend. You thought you had each other figured out since you've known them long enough, but then came up those moments which left a giant question mark on your mind. This moment just perfectly described one of those moments.

"Do you want to hold hands?"

Jungkook has just killed the car's engine when Lisa asked a question that later be the cause of why they almost came late to their classes. He took his grip off the steering wheel, facing his girlfriend who was sitting down straight, staring at the sea of people passing in the car park. She didn't even look at him.

"What?"

"I said, do you want to hold hands?" she repeated, her expression unreadable.

"Why? Are you cold?" He reached for her hand to intertwine their fingers then brought them to his lips, leaving light feathery kisses.

Lisa melted at the gesture, wondering how could she miss this boy who was right in front of her to instead date guys who only knew to break hearts. A mystery, that one.

"No, I'm not cold. But, do you want to hold hands?" she insisted.

"We are holding hands and we were holding hands the entire ride to school," he told her with his brows furrowed, feeling confused of her repeated questions.

Lisa unbuckled her seatbelt before turning her body sideways to face him. "I know. But I mean, later. When you walk me to class."

He frowned at her answer. "But you don't like doing that."

True. And actually there's a list of things that she didn't fancy doing in public with him. Not only because of the rules (even though no one complied to them, really), she was just simply not into PDA anymore. Everywhere. Even outside the school. She used to be, but ever since she dated Jungkook, she had changed completely.

She hated kissing and hugging in public.  She'd shove his hand away from her when they're eating out with some friends or with their families (Nickhun, Lisa's brother, always gave her a side glance for that). She'd wriggle herself out whenever he tried to throw his arm around her shoulders. In short, she just didn't tolerate him touching her in places where people can stare. With her previous boyfriends, she did any of those things just fine. It was Jeon Jungkook who's a sole exception.

She'd act very differently when it's just the two of them together, though.

Lisa would back hug him and refuse to let him go whenever he's cooking, crawl onto his lap to distract him from playing video games, even so often kiss his cheeks every like five minutes whenever they're doing their homework together.

To be fully honest, Jungkook had learned that he had zero problem with the way Lisa loves him. If she wanted privacy, then he'd give her that. But now, Jungkook couldn't hold back his confusion when she asked him to hold hands in public all of sudden. Something happened, he was convinced.

"Well, I don't like it, but we can do it if you want us to," she said, making his frown grew deeper.

Jungkook was just staring at her while his mind wondering what on earth could cause her to act like this. He tried to recall the last time Lisa acted strangely and the memory of her asking if he wanted her to sit on his lap once during a Truth or Dare game came flashing on his mind.

He finally sighed in realization, looking at her attentively. "What did you hear this time?"

Upon his question, Lisa closed her eyes in defeat and looked away. Of course he'd notice at last.

"Lisa," he insisted, turning her chin so she face him again. "What's bothering you?"

"It's just ...," she trailed off. "Some people have been saying things."

"Again," Jungkook added, reminding her that it wasn't the first time people tried to meddle into their relationship. They hated that. Most importantly because things that they whispered behind their back and in front of them would get into Lisa's head so often times.

Before Jungkook and Lisa dated, many people placed a bet that one way or another, they'd date eventually. Childhood turning into lovers was a cliché after all though it surely was a sweet, heart-fluttering kind. After they ended up dating, people started to act like they're damn celebrities and just couldn't leave them and their relationship alone.

Lisa casted her eyes down, suddenly feeling insecure. "They said that you deserve so much better than this. Than me, who let you do everything to make this relationship works while I just take you for granted."

What the fuck was what the voice in his head trying to say, but his lips were tightly sealed. He listened to her attentively instead, not giving any response to allow her let the frustration out off her chest first.

"They label me as the uninterested one in this relationship, that I neglect you too much. And the reason why we rarely spend time together at school is because I'm not proud to have you as my boyfriend, saying that I've lost interest in a such an obvious love," she sighed, looking up at him to search for a confirmation yet she found none. "They said we should've stuck to being best friends instead so you can date someone worth your time and effort."

With her exes, Lisa used to be one of those people who would be making out with her boyfriend in empty classes, announcing loud and clear that they're in love. Jungkook knew because he witnessed them all. She wasn't a player, but when she fell in love with someone, she fell hard and recklessly. When the sweetness eventually taste bitter, she's the only one who got hurt. And Jungkook had always stayed by her side in both situations. He had to, she's his best friend after all.

Lisa and Jungkook have been neighbors for the past twenty years. Their parents, even longer than that. When Jungkook's parents moved from South Korea to the States, Lisa's parents already resided there for three years. The Jeons moved next door and became friends immediately. Even though, there was a language barrier since Lisa's parents were Thai and Swiss, and Jungkook's parents have not yet fluent in English, they communicated with each other just fine. All credits goes to body language.

With their parents being best friends, it was kind of an obligation for the children to be raised together and be best friends. Then when they're older and finally knew what love meant, people would expect them to fall in love. Again, it was an obvious love, they would say.

But even something obvious, isn't that obvious either.

It did take some twists and turns, and long years of friend zone, until finally Lisa and Jungkook got together. So all the bullshit about Lisa wanting to hide the fact that she's dating her best friend can go straight to the trash. It was just because she wanted it to be different. And why would she announce and explain it to everyone who apparently has a say in a relationship that doesn't involve them? It was a them problem, but from the way people keep talking right in front of her lately had been affecting her for some time now.

Lisa has been constantly questioning herself whether she is attentive enough and whether Jungkook actually does feel like he's neglected. And it becomes harder when people around them are overanalyzing everything.

"I really like you, but have I shown that enough?" she questioned lowly.

Jungkook hated that she let what people were saying into her head, messing her up. But he was also glad that Lisa poured it all to him. At least they were going through it together. As always.

"Listen," he called for her attention before intertwining their fingers. "I want you to hold my hands because you can't stand being apart from me. I want you to hug me because you find comfort in that. I want you to kiss me because you're so overwhelmed with your emotions that you can't string words together. I want you to do all that because you can't afford to lose me."

He paused and smiled.

"You have nothing to prove to me, baby. It's about us and no one else. I love the way you love me. This is enough," Jungkook told her as he cupped her cheek with his other hand.

"You are enough."

💛

if your partner don't appreciate you enough, get rid of them. you deserve the best.