Prologue

"Get out! Get out, you stupid girl! I said get out!" my aunt yelled at me. I clung to my son, Kale, as he cried in my arms. She pushed us out the door and into the howling wind. Snow swirled all around us, and Kale cried out at the shock of going from the warm interior of the house we had called home to this frigid 

"Aunt Beatrice! What about Kale? What am I supposed to do?" I cried.

"I don't know, but you can not stay here any longer!" she yelled.

"Aunt Beatrice!" I screamed as tears rolled down my cheeks. She just shook her head and slammed the door in our faces.

Kale screamed out in protest, his 9-month-old face turning bright red. I pulled his baby blue blanket closer to his body and tried to use my body heat to keep him warm, but to no avail, I could tell it wasn't working. At this rate, he and I would freeze to death in this weather.

"Shhh, shhh. It's okay, baby. We'll be okay," I whispered to him, trying to calm my screaming son. He seemed to believe me, because he quit his crying. Soon after, his breathing evened out and his body relaxed in my arms.

I had no clue what I was going to do. I had no where to go and I had a son that I needed to take care of, he was my top priority, he was my only priority, I couldn't have cared less what happened to me as long as my son was safe. I sighed and found an opening in an alley that was somewhat dry. I climbed in and laid Kale between my body and the wall. I took off my sweater and tucked it around him to keep in the heat. I was more scared than I'd ever been before in my life, I was scared for myself, but more so for the baby I'd brought into this world, and I didn't know what to do. I'd always had my mum after Kale was born. I'd never been on my own and I wasn't ready to be on my own now. I needed to figure out what to do because I definitely couldn't stay in that alley way forever. I had to find a safe place for Kale, for my baby.

"Dear God, if you can hear me, please, please, make sure my baby will be okay?" I prayed for the first time in my life before sobs overtook me.

A/N: If I can get 4 or 5 comments I'll update :) -J