chapter 1: the escape

The floor was cold, light from the outside world came through a little window way up high. I never looked through it, and I couldn't remember what it ever looked like. The outside world was unknown to me. The scientist told me its dangerous out there for somebody as precious as me.

Yeah... precious. If I was so dear to him, why would he torture me with his curious experiments. Everytime after the experiment, he told me I 'was his good lil' birdie' .The thought about made me shiver. As if his appearance wasn't creepy enough, his personality was as well. I sat down on the hard concrete floor, hugging my legs close. I looked through the bars of my 'room' door.

A faint light of a single lightbulb in the hall way illuminated the neglected walls. Paint was peeling, and the floor was filthy. My room wasn't any better. Tally marks drawn with a pencil covered the walls, counting the nights I've been here since my 8th birthday. Today, ive been here 3 years, 3 months and 5 days. That particular birthday was the first birthday the scientist celebrated with me. On that day he gave me somewhat more fancy food, or so he said. It was just some extra sweets from decades ago he found in a broke down store. He sang a song as he gave them. Bastard.

I couldn't remember what my live was before this punishment. I don't know how he inflicted amnesia on me as well, wouldn't be surprised if he brainwashed me in my sleep. As I sat sulking like i always do, drowning in my own thoughts, I heard a loud bang above the ceiling, or perhaps in the ceiling? My head shot up, adrenaline entered my veins.

I stumbled quickly to the back of my room. This wasn't the scientist. I could hear a thud in front of my door, and I cautiously scooted a little forward. A bright yellow figure layed in front, motionless. I crouched toward my door, trying to see if it was still breathing, if it was alive to begin with. Faint steps could be heard a few hallways away. The figure slowly sat up, their back turned to me. "you might wanna get out of here, quickly" I whispered urgently. The being turned their head to look at me. I was never more mesmorized. Black locks of hair hung in front of their eyes, only a small nose and their mouth could be seen. They had a fair white skin, their face framed by a yellow hood which didn't seem to reveal much. They nodded, and without a word, they ran for the sake of their safety. I was alone again. This was the first time seeing a creature like me again in the flesh since Eye knows when. The clatter of iron prosthetics filled the empty hallway. In the blink of a eye the scientist stood in front of me. Their ugly face hung down, looking at me with a agitated look, although only his mouth was visible, it was very clear. His thin white hair on his balding head a little wet due to the sweat.

The long labcoat was stained with some sort of chemical he was probably just working with. His feed where dangling as the iron prosthetics on his back carried him wherever he was going. He pushed up his goggles a little bit to sit on the little bit of nose bridge he had left. "It did sound like you had a little visitor huh kid?" he asked, a little bit of fury could be heard in his voice. I whispered no. He shot forward and stood almost against my door, quite intimidating. I took a few steps back. "Don't lie to me my precious, I know they are walking around here somewhere" I gulped, fearing for the stranger. "You stay here, Im gonna look for them, I wouldnt want you to get hurt my sweet birdie" he said and quickly ran further through the halls with his long appendages, making alot of noise.

I heard something fall to the ground, I got close to the door and looked at the direction he went. The key. The key to my room just laid there on the floor, he lost it. But it was just out of my reach, damnit. I looked around my room, to see if I had something to get it with. A single fork, maybe, just maybe I can reach it. I walked to the door, and reached my arm through the bars to the key. Just a inch, my arms where just a inch too short to grab it. I was devastated. But then again, what the heck would I do. I couldn't reach out the door to unlock it, even if I tried.