chapter 5: static

Clothes hung from a TV without an apparent body,I gulped. I saw Mono staring at the sight as well, he gasped. We stood still for a moment, his hand still in mine. "So uh, what now?" I asked. " let's just uh, go that way" he said, pointing at a big window like hole in the wall. We both jumped through and landed into the streets of a suddenly familiar city. "Wait a minute, this is familiar."

Everything came back to me. We hopped through the window of an abandoned bar, clothes hung from the high stools down. " how come, I thought you 've never been here before". Mono said, walking past the stool without looking up. He was actually actively looking down, like he didn't want to see it. " Yeah but I've never see the outside of the city, only the inside". I said. " I mean I was born here" I said.

After we passed a creepy empty hallway, we ended up in a room with several tvs were scattered on the ground with some metal cupboards. There were also some tvs hanging form wires somewhere far above. On the other side of the room there was a hole in the wall. " you were born here"? Mono asked. " yeah, thats what i just told you" He nodded. I flew up into the hole and helped him up. We landed into a room with a big hole in the floor. There was a rope in the middle, once again there were 3 tv's, two on top of each other with the top one having a rope attached to it, the other tv stood at the opposite of the hole.

" I can't remember where I came from, all I can remember is a long hallway and a door with an eye on it, and then I just end up in the forest, thats all I can remember before I actually went through the forest and met you guys later". He told me. Mono looked at the rope dangling in front of him. " I might have a idea".

I looked at him quizzically while he walked over to one of the tvs and jumped on top of it. " what do you mean, you suddenly remember something about your past" I asked. He jumped and grabbed the rope, I audibly gasped "be careful"!. " I wasn't talking about my past silly, But about how we are gonna proceed, also, don't worry". I pouted. "Silly is not my name, just call me crow" He left the room with a snicker as he kicked the tv with the rope attached to it off the other, making the rope he was hanging from shot up.

I heard his laughter far above my head. " You're funny, come up here" . I frowned. "how, you already took the rope". Even harder laughter could be heard as I saw him jump from the rope to a platform above me. " Just fly, you're literally a bird"! he screamed down. " oh, yeah" I flew up and faced him " also, I'm not a full bird, I'm also a kid like you" I said, trying to clear the misunderstanding. "sure, could you help me up those stairs please, half bird half kid" He said, pointing to a staircase he couldn't get to cause of a hole in the floor. "haha, very funny" I said, grabbing both his wrists and flying him over there.

He walked up the stair case as I landed on top. "couldn't you just put me on top as well" He said, breathing a little faster after that little staircase. "pfff, at this rate you'll be out of breath after just a few steps". A sudden loud ring filled my ears, causing me to have a headache.

What was that? I covered my ears, and bend over in pain. "are you ok"? Mono rushed to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. I couldn't even speak, I pointed to the direction of the noise. He grabbed my hand and walked towards the noise.

No please, don't you understand it hurts? The pain was almost unbearable when we arrived at a small platform hanging from the wall, a gaping hole in front of us. In the corner of my eye I saw a silhouette of a kid, peeking of the edge like they were looking if they could jump or not. Mono let go of my hand, walking over to the kid, not saying a word. When he was close, the kid disappeared, but the noise wasn't, although now a little bit less unbearable..

Mono held the sides of his head, now bend over like I was. I stared at him in horror. I rushed over to him and put a hand on his shoulder "are you ok?" I asked. He smiled "I'm fine, thank you" he said, looking at me from behind the paperbag. The thing still unnerved me.

"Its still here, but now from somewhere else" I said in pain. We walked back to the other room, jumped over on a broken beam, and ended up in a hall way. It started to be unbearable again. We stepped through a hole in a door, and now Mono held his head again as well. He slowly walked over to the source of the scream of death: a static tv.

I stood next to the door, looking at Mono while he walked over to that demon of a machine. He raised his hand and put it against the screen, it started to chance, the static broadcast now looking like a vague hallway. Was it the Hallway he mentioned before? Mono held his hand to the screen, he almost seemed to grip it, making the hallway on the tv twist and turn.

How did he do that!? How did he know what to do? The tv made another loud noise, tears welled up in my eyes. Mono changed the broadcast once again and the noise was gone. I looked up, where was he? I ran towards the screen he disappeared in front of.

My eyes want as big as dinner plates when I saw he was on the screen, running towards a door. It was the door he had described, with a very big eye in the middle , looking at him. " GO ASIDE"! A familiar voice screamed with urgency. A being in a bright yellow raincoat stood next to me, Six?. She put her hands through the screen, and before I knew it, she had pulled Mono out of the screen, and they lied there next to each other on the wooden floor.

They lifted their heads, Mono seemingly still in pain of that travel into the tv. " are you alright"? I asked, holding a hand out to him, Six stood up next to us as I helped him up. "yeah, It's Oka-" " Why are you here "I interrupted him, now looking at Six. Her nose cringed up a bit, the corners of her mouth turned down, She was angry again. " well a thank you would've been nice, If it wasn't for me, You guys would've been now in the hands of the Thin man"! She screamed. " Who? Are you making stuff up" I huffed, crossing my arms. I saw Her anger consuming her entire being. " I'm not making stuff up crow!" she yelled. How dare she " It's crow kid for you"! I yelled back.

A loud high pitched tv noise interrupted Six before she could violently retort. Both of us held our hands over our ears as we turned to Mono, Who had now put off his paper bag and just closed his mouth after he made the loud sound. I was in shock when I noticed his pupils only now slowly returned to his eyes, grey of his sclera seemed to move like static.

He looked beyond pissed. " Silence you two! enough with the bickering!" He said sternly. I gulped, he suddenly was a lot more scary, especially after that tv control moment. I started to scratch the sides of my hands, folding my wings slightly around me.

"I don't care if this so called 'Thin man' is real or not, but what I've learned from this fucked up world so far is that if you want to survive, you have to stick together! Not fight each other"! He yelled. I stared at the ground, I knew he had a point, but I couldn't forgive Six after wanting to leave him like that. I felt something, or rather someone cover my ears. "Language,Mono". I stared at Six dumbfounded. " What the flappers do you mean with language, he was just speaking English" I said softly. Mono and Six looked at me, before they bursted out in laughter. I was even more confused.

"Oh Crow, he just said a bad word I don't want you to pick up on". Six said, wiping a single tear away, confusing me even more. Why does she always cry when she is laughing, so weird. " My gosh, the kind of friends we are right? We are sure an odd bunch" Mono giggled. " I mean, look at us, a half bird half human, a boy who can control tvs and absorb glitching children, and a girl in a bright yellow raincoat". We laughed, finally I could get why they were laughing, because this was actually funny.

We sure are a weird trio right?. Six giggled " I sound like the most normal one in your description Mono" she remarked. He smiled " I guess you right". We smiled at each other. "let's go" Six said gleefully, reaching for my hand. I didn't take it, but took Mono's instead. Six got the message and grabbed Mono's other hand. I still couldn't fully forgive her, but I wasn't angry anymore. We jumped through the gateway in the wall, and ended up in a dumpster. We jumped out with the fresh smell of trash on us and proceeded to a big fence gate.

Memories hit me like a brick in the face when I saw the all too familiar building,School.