Tired ~ Part 5

Part 5: Ant & Dec (BGT 2013)

The tapping against his arm grew more and more insistent until it would have been unreasonable to keep pretending to still be asleep.

"'m not falling asleep," Dec mumbled, half heartedly swatting at the hand patting his arm. "You are."

"I am?" Ant's slightly too awake, cheerful voice made him screw his face up, groaning under his breath.

Slowly he registered that the soundtrack to his nap, the low hum of the car engine, had cut out. He dragged himself upright, wincing when his head emerged from the cocoon his arms had made for it.

Ant did nothing to suppress a huff of laughter, making Dec frown weakly. "Piss off, mate."

"You look awful," the other man said, almost gleefully.

"Smash your face in," Dec muttered under his breath, splaying his fingers and dragging them through his hair, hoping to make himself look slightly more presentable for the excitable crowd that was already audible through the car doors. And despite his mild annoyance towards his friend, he still turned to him. "Does it look okay?"

"Nothing like you've been napping on the way to work," Ant replied, smiling far too sweetly. Dec rolled his eyes, smothering a reluctant grin.

He didn't miss Ant masking a yawn of his own with the back of his hand.

(*~*)

"I'm not tired, you're tired."

"Am not."

"I think you're both tired."

Ant and Dec both turned around at Stephen's remark, folding their arms simultaneously at his disapproving expression.

"You know why?" he continued, not waiting for an answer. "Because you thought it was a good idea to go out on our one day off of the week to watch the football."

"We could hardly miss it," Dec argued back incredulously.

"This is Newcastle we're talking about," Ant agreed, shaking his head at Stephen's ignorance. "You'd understand if you knew anything about football."

"I don't think I'll ever understand why you wanted to spend yesterday evening in a pub when you could have been asleep," Stephen replied. "Was it really worth it?"

He didn't receive vocal responses, instead being faced with two expressions, one saying 'well, yeah' and the other, a more blunt 'obviously'.

"I'm not even tired," Dec complained under his breath, much to Stephen's infuriating amusement.

"I think you've yawned three times in the space of five minutes," he pointed out, his matter-of-fact tone sending Dec's head burrowing into Ant's shoulder as he muffled a groan in the other man's jumper.

"That might be your cue to get out of here," Ant said helpfully, smirking in Stephen's direction. "I can't be responsible for a tired Dec's actions when he's provoked."

Stephen made a show of holding up his hands and backing away slowly, smile growing when Dec lifted his head to watch him go, mouth flickering upwards, albeit tiredly.