Chapter 5:Raging Dragon

You finished your meal, placing your utensils aside. You stared at your mother as her features had changed over the years. Her face was still smooth and soft however her eyebags were bigger than how yours were. She had two vertical wrinkles forming on her forehead between her eyebrows. Her eyes seemed tired for what they have seen. Her face was skinny and pale as if she lost every single speck of sunlight.

You were silent, turning your attention to Kyojuro. He ate with passion consuming the sweet potatoes with every bit. You wondered what he thought about your heartless family. The situation was already at its worst.

  You stared down at the food, you could not consume it because your chest pounded fast from anxiousness. The room reminded you of how much time had passed.The major events from your family smiling together to it becoming chaos as your brother decided to become a demon slayer to further more, your brother arguing to never sell you off for some bet the first time as you were only eight and lastly to you mourning for his death that was never avenged but was told by a crow who never turned in the message to the corps.

You thought about how your brother promised to get you once he became a Hashira to build an estate where you could live in peace away from all power, envy, hate, untrustworthy, threats, etc. He was afraid you would be sent off to a selfish old man. He wanted you to be happy and free.

Kyojuro noticed you spacing out once more as you glance at your mother who did the same. He could connected the dots a little to see why you acted how you acted now. He didn't desire to bud into any past private talks or to reveal something you never wanted him to see. He could only assume it was because of the events of your brother, your mother and mostly your father who probably weren't there for you when you needed them the most.  When you talk about marriages, was it about your parents? Was this the fear you was most afraid of, to become your parents?

  "Thank you for the meal!" Kyojuro thanked your mother as he wanted to avoid the awkward silence.

   You broke out of your daydream as you turned your attention to him. 

   Your mother broke out of hers as she said,"As I said before thank the servants,"Your mother stood up, "(y/n)..." She caught your attention,"I could not forget your day of birth. Happy eighteens years of life,"Your mother clapped slowly knowing damn-well you forgot your birthday,"We should make your return a little more bigger. I have some gifts for you to wear tonight."

You were shocked. You forgot to keep track as soon as you left. However, you forgotten because of Kyojuro joining in.

Kyojuro seemed surprised to even know it was your birthday. Kyojuro could only guess you were sixteen to nineteen years in between.

Kyojuro smiled as he grabbed your hand pulling towards him. He was grateful you made it this far and you were healthy and beginning to heal. He desired for you to know that he would always try to make you happy.

"It's blessing you have grown stronger each passing year. I hope you will always continue to be that strong powerful mentor you deserve to be," Kyojuro's words were encouragement as he held on your hand tightly.   

You stared at him embarrassed your mother was watching. Was she judging him? What was she thinking of you now? Instead of you staying away from men like you desired, you had one you let grab your hand like nothing. You would have proved your father right.

    "Thank you, Rengoku," You sighed as you moved your hand away from him. 

    You tried to be careful to make sure your mother didn't assume and pull some lies on you.

   Kyojuro was a little hurt as you pulled your hand away.You called him by his last name. It felt like a step backwards. He thought he was already past that point. His eyes waiting for you to say something else however nothing came out.