24

Dear Katie,

I thought I saw you. Deep within the trees, I saw it. A glimpse, the yellow spaghetti strapped blouse you were wearing that day (with that color I could’ve seen you anywhere, yet I didn’t).

I walked closer, the hope filling me, buzzing through my veins and reaching to my head. I can hear Luca call my name, A string of whisperedEvan’, over and over again. But my ears are ringing, hyper focus on you, my mind trying to remember your voice, in case you call out to me. But then I heard the growls instead and the hope fizzled out and dread replaced it.

It couldn’t be you, I thought. You’re not one of them, Katie. I know it. I was frozen. I couldn’t do anything, I thought she was you, Katie. You have the same hair, the same height. The tears started coming before I could even register anything. And then Luca was there, a stream of sweat, adrenaline and frustration. He killed it.

And I just stood there, tears streaming down my face because I really thought she was you, and the relief that I felt when I realized it wasn’t made me cry even more.

Luca hugged me. And I let him. As embarrassing as this might sound, I let him hug me until I stopped crying, and I hugged him long after I stopped.