CHAPTER 2: | LE JOUR OÙ VOUS DEVENIEZ MON AMANT (The day you became my lover) |

[NEW ORLEANS 1919]

It was a full house in a theatre and Klaus was sitting in a private box, looking bored and impatient while he read through the program of the night. When Lorena arrived he immediately looked up.

"Rebekah just went to find Marcel. Their first big date after I gave them a blessing and he's nowhere to be found." Klaus informed her as Lorena sat next to him.

"Well, I came to keep you company." Lorena informed him with a smile, "If you don't have anything against it."

Klaus raised his eyebrows with a smirk forming on his lips, "I wouldn't dream of having something against it."

As Lorena was about to speak the two of them heard a voice coming from behind, "There you are, boy."

When Klaus realized that it was Mikael he forgot about everything he was talking about with Lorena.

Mikael sat down behind him and poked his white oak stake against Klaus' back.

"I would advise against trying to flee, boy." Mikael warned, "I can drive this into your heart before you can even think of getting to your feet, and I don't want you to die.. yet."

"Father.." Klaus whispered in shock and fright. That was the first time that Lorena saw him being afraid of someone.

Mikael chukled, ""Father? Still clinging to that word after all these years, a bastard desperate for a daddy? I wonder if your real father would be as embarrassed as I was of you before I discovered you were not mine. Most likely." Angry, Klaus was about to turn around but Mikael stopped him, "Oh, oh. Uh-uh. Easy now, boy." Mikael gripped Klaus by his shoulder to tug him back into his seat, "Don't worry. Death will come, but we need to have a little chat before you shuffle off your immortal coil."

"Any words we have for each other have been spoken long ago. But, know this - I am no longer the animal begging for scraps of your affection. I will die knowing my hatred for you was just. I will feel proud of all I have achieved here. So, Mikael, if you're going to kill me, then get on with it." Klaus told him and Lorena felt him grip her hand.

"Au contraire, Niklaus. Some things remain unsaid. For instance, you were right to be proud of your achievement here. As I walked the streets, your name was spoken of in reverent tones by the city's finest. So, after I kill you and of course your lovely lady." Klaus stiffened at the mention of her death, "I will remain here in New Orleans until every last person who remembers you is dead. The deeds of the mighty Klaus will be remembered by no one and you, boy, will simply never have existed." The orchestra began to warm up in front of the stage, "Ah. The grand show." Mikael's interest was taken to the orchestra, he relaxed, pulling the stake away from Klaus as the lights went down. He leaned forward and tapped Klaus' shoulder, "Oh, I made some alterations in your honor. You'll love it."

The curtain went up to reveal Marcel staked through his hands to a wooden cross. He was barely conscious. And Rebekah was laying down on the floor with a wooden stake impaled through her chest. The audience laughed and applauded.

"Rebekah.." Lorena said worriedly and she lifted herself out of her seat but Klaus caught her, slamming her back down for her own safety.

But she couldn't bear the sight of Rebekah dead on the floor, even though she wasn't staked with the white oak stake. Lorena vamp-speed to the stage, ignoring the laughter and applause as she pulled out a stake from Rebekah's chest.

Suddenly Lorena felt a grip on the back of her throat causing her to gasp. Mikael looked down towards her before he twisted his hand with ease and snapped her neck, letting her body fall limp beside Rebekah's.