Chapter IX

Kyoya gently shut the door as Miles left Music Room 3, resting his back against it as he did. Unbeknownst to himself, a smile slipped onto Kyoya's face. He looked back the the now abandoned table, dishes gently stacked on a cart next to it and candles a quarter of the way melted. Kyoya's smile stayed as he started cleaning everything up, letting his fingers rest on the silverware Miles used and the chair he sat on. He was knocked out of his cheerfully-dazed state when the door slammed open. Kyoya jumped slightly in his spot, quickly taking his hands away from the items on the table, as if burned. Kyoya snapped his head towards the doorway, smile gone from his face.

"We saw the Dontire boy finally leaving, he seemed oddly happy" Tamaki stated, an odd look on his face that Kyoya couldn't quite piece together. But the knowledge that Miles left their meeting happy made his chest unexplainably warm. "So, finally want to tell us what this little... date was all about?" Tamaki seemed smug with his words, but his face didn't seem to match the tone. There was no tell-tale smirk or smug look in his eye. "It was no date, I was in his debt and this lunch was how I repaid him. That's all" He had hoped Tamaki would let it go but Kyoya really should have known better after all the time they spent together. "First of all, I know a date when I see one; the candles, the handmade food; do you take me as a fool Kyoya? If you weren't recruiting him, then this could only be a date"

Kyoya went to counter his friend, not about him being a fool, as that was true, but about it being a date. It wasn't a date, he did consider that it might have come across that way but Miles didn't seem to think of it like that either. It surely wasn't Kyoya's intention for it to be a date. Right? Of course not, that'd be absurd, romantic feelings were quite fickle and got in the way of actual important things. No, it wasn't a date. But Kyoya didn't have the chance to say any of this, as Tamaki continued in his tirade or nonsense. "And second of all, what sort of debt did you get yourself into that you had to take Dontire on a date? I mean, that's a little much, don't you think?" Now the blonde's facial expression made sense.

It was a combination of smugness, confusion, general dislike of being left out of the loop and of course, the blonde's need for gossip. Kyoya shook his head in amusement as he finally turned back to the table to finish clearing up. "Again, it was not a date. I had gathered..." He hesitated here, it felt like he was back at that desk, the phone near his ear once more, hearing those words. "...information that I wasn't quite prepared for; it put me in a state of shock. I ended up going for a walk, but I was rather out of it. Miles found me and led me back to the manor. I wanted to thank him and this is what I came up with in the moment, that's all" He hoped his friends hadn't paid too much attention to his pause. The group was quiet for a second, Tamaki seemed disappointed in the lack of intriguing information.

"What information did you get Kyoya-senpai?" It was Haruhi who had asked, face nothing but curious. Mr. Dontire has suffered from skin cancer in the past... Kyoya took in a breath, gently shaking his head. "It's not important anymore" Has check ups to make sure he hasn't relapsed... He tried to give a reassuring look, but seeing as how Haruhi's expression went from curious to a little concerned, he guessed it didn't work as well as he hoped. "Ugh, so we lost profit today because of that?" One of the twins, Kaoru he guessed, groaned. "From my calculations, us being absent for a day will actually boost our profits for tomorrow. We won't make everything we could have earned today back, but we will get at least half, if not more" There was a grumble between the two redheads but the matter seemed settled.

While Kyoya sat through the rest of his classes that day, he couldn't get his mind off of what Tamaki had said. Which, unexplainably, reminded Kyoya of the odd warm and fuzzy feeling he kept getting around Miles. Why he felt so comfortable, yet weirdly nervous around him. Why being around him made Kyoya smile for no real reason. Why Kyoya got so protective over him when Tamaki had first seen them. Kyoya sighed in frustration, it was like all the pieces of the puzzle were there, he just couldn't put them together properly. Why was this so difficult to understand? It was like the answer was right in front of him. Ever since Miles had come around, things stopped making sense. Kyoya didn't know if he liked it or not. 

~

A/N - Is this short? Yes. Does it make up for continuing to leave you guys hanging for months on end? I have no idea. But the momentum stopped around 800 words and I didn't want to rewrite this chapter yet again so here we are. Next up is Miles' thoughts on this date (cause yeah, Kyoya, is was a date) and if he's able to break through this barrier that Kyoya can't seem to figure out. Thanks for continuing to support this story even though I keep dropping off the deep end after every post. It means a lot <3