Prologue

Phaedra Guerreo was seven years old when she and her mother were walking down the cold street.

"Ok, we are almost there." Phaedra's mother told her. "Where are we going mommy?" Phaedra asked her mother.

"It's a surprise, Honey." her mother said, quickly pulling her along. The little girl quickly became excited and started bouncing around. "I like surprises!" she said excitedly. Although, she would come to hate surprises later on.

And her mother looked around quickly and she spots an alleyway. She quickly lead Phaedra into the alley and tells her, "I'll be right back, honey. Stay right here." And Phaedra nods and stays there and says "Ok, mommy. I'll be good." Her mother kisses her forehead and walks out of the alleyway.

It starts to get darker outside and colder and Phaedra pulls her jacket a little closer to her. The little girl starts to worry about her mom due to the fact that she hasn't come back for her yet. Phaedra opts to sit on the floor since she had been standing for so long and tears prick her eyes when it's really late at night and her mom still isn't back.

Phaedra finally starts to realize that her mom isn't coming back and she starts to cry. The little girl starts to get hungry and cold. She is scared because she's by herself and she whimpers out a small "Mommy?" as she cries.

The cold continued, and the seven year old was shivering beside a dumpster. People kept walking past her. No one cared to take a glance, or even help her. They ignored her cries for her mother.

As she was crying, a man walked into the alley. The man was handsome. He was the kind of handsome man that girls would trip over their own feet for, just to worship him.

Well...at least that's what he thought of himself. The man was really cocky. Kind of self absorbed.

He had sun-bleached hair that looked fairly warm, even on such a cold night as this one. As a matter of fact, his whole body seemed to radiate warmth. It was like he was some sort of sun, in a way. He was like a walking heater. He slowly approached the seven-year-old, who looked up immediately, thinking it was her mother.

Phaedra tries to back away from the strange man because she was always taught "Stranger danger." Her back hits the dumpster. The man asks her "Are you lost, little one?" And the little girl looks at him confused. The man gives her a warm smile which seems to warm her up a little bit, and she stares at him in wonder with her blue eyes. The little girl sees a flash of recognition in his eyes before it goes away. She asks him "Who are you? And where's my mommy?"

The man replies with "I see all. I know all." causing the girl to blink at him in confusion. "Huh?" She replied.

"Oh no...." the man said. "What?" she replies in a very small voice. The man looks at her in sadness and says "Your mom left..." causing the little girl's eyes to become sad and her bottom lip to start quivering. The little girl's eyes have a little glimmer of hope in them as she asks "Is she coming back?" The man sighs sadly and he shakes his head and the girl starts to cry again. After a little bit, she whimpers out "I'm cold. And I'm hungry."

"I can fix that." the man tells her. Phaedra looks up at the man with a tear stricken face due to the fact that her motherwasn't there anymore. "How?" she asks him.

The man conjures a ball of light as the little girl starts to watch him with genuine interest. Out of that ball of light, the man gives her some quesadillas and a box of cookies. Phaedra's eyes widen at the sight of her favorite foods and she wipes her eyes free of the tears and sniffles as she moves closer to the food. He smiles softly for the girl, and she looks up at him with wonder and she asks him "Can you teach me how to do that?!"

"Well, no....but I can teach you this." and he snaps his fingers and holds out his palm with a small ball of light in his hand. It instantly made the girl feel warmer and the grip on her jacket lessened, causing Phaedra to gasp and she said "Show me! Show me!"

The little girl holds out her hand, Palm up just like the man and he turns over his hand and he makes the ball of light go into her hand, traveling up her body, making her body glow a bright yellow. As it went into her body, it made her feel even warmer. The small child snapped her fingers and held her hand out, palm up, just like the man had done before. Before she knew it, she had conjured up a small ball of light that floated in her palm.

"I did it! Oh my god, I did it!" the small child yelled while bouncing around excitedly. The man smiles at her and says "Yes, you did." The man smiles at her and says "Now I'm going to teach you something else."

"What?" she replies excitedly. And the man puts his fingers in the sides of her temples and her eyes roll back before slumping back as she falls asleep.

Later, through the night, She starts to stir and she wakes up when she hears a voice that sounds like a girl.

"Luke! Look, there's someone there!" the girl with raven hair said. Phaedra quickly got up and hid behind the dumpster she fell asleep by.

But the raven haired girl had seen her and she said "Hello? Is someone there? We're not going to hurt you." Phaedra peeked out from behind the dumpster and she saw the raven haired girl slowly approaching her and some blonde guy also behind her. She went back to hiding. And she started to get scared.

The older girl said "Hey, it's ok." and Phaedra peeks out again. "Hey, there" the girl says to her and Phaedra waved shyly and eyed her and the boy cautiously. The older girl says "We won't hurt you." and she looks at the boy skeptically.

The boy speaks to her and says "Do you need help? We can help you." Phaedra nods, still not saying anything.

The boy asks her "Where's your mommy?" And the girl's eyes turn sad and the little girl says "My mommy left me here. She said she was coming back, but she didn't." and realization flashes across the older kids' faces when she says that she was left there.

Phaedra says "But I got food, so i'm not hungry anymore. Who are you people?"

The boy says "I'm Luke. That girl, right there, her name is Thalia." and she looks at them and nods. Thalia says "If you want, can we take you to a safe place for kids like us?" and she tilts her head and nods and says "I'm Phaedra." And Luke and Thalia nod and say "Ok."

"Well, my mommy isn't here and I don't have a dad. My mommy is my only family." the little girl says sadly. Luke perks up and says "Okay, then. We'll be our own family." Phaedra smiles for the first time since they met and says "Really?" excitedly. Luke nods and says "Yeah. I promise."

And Phaedra beams at him and looks at Thalia for confirmation. Thalia holds her hand out to the small girl and says "Family." Phaedra picks up her stuff and thrusts her hand out to hold Thalia's, who holds it back and squeezes her hand as Luke asks "Are you ready to go?" Phaedra nods and they head down the street.

" Phaedra picks up her stuff and thrusts her hand out to hold Thalia's, who holds it back and squeezes her hand as Luke asks "Are you ready to go?" Phaedra nods and they head down the street

Word count: 1326

AN: This was inspired by braekerofchains
Please don't come for me if it's bad. I'm not that good at writing

Pls make sure to comment and vote