001

Phaedra gripped Thalia's hand tight as they ran through the forest. Luke was holding Annabeth's hand as the two older demigods tried to keep the younger ones upright as they ran up a steep hill.

"We're almost there!" Grover shouted, making Phaedra cry because her small seven-year-old body grew exhausted from all the running. She wasn't used to this much cardio. All the girl wanted to do was lay down and rest.

"Hey, star. Come on, we have to keep pushing. You can do it." Thalia told her and she adjusted the leather jacket around the small girl, although it was way too big for her. 

Thalia had given her the jacket because she was cold. Phaedra told her that she was going to give it back once they got to camp.

Phaedra whimpered once she heard the sound of the monsters that were getting closer to the group.

She looked at Annabeth, who had dirt and twigs in her princess curls. She looked terrified. Her eyes were wide with panic, just like Phaedra and she looked like she was about to cry.

"The patrol will see us! Come on!" Grover yelled at them.

The girl felt as though she was going to collapse. Her legs were burning from running up the steep hill. 

"I'm tired, Lia." She complained. Thalia nodded and reached her hand into the Long sleeve of the too big leather jacket to properly grasp Phaedra's hand. 

"I know, star. We just need to move a little more and we'll be fine, ok?" Thalia told her

She nodded and Thalia lifted her up to avoid the tree root that was going to trip her. Luke had tried to lift Annabeth, but was too late as she had got her foot caught on the tree root and went tumbling to the ground. She started crying.

"Annabeth, come on. You can do it!" Grover said as Luke pulled her up.

"But she sprained her ankle." Luke told him

Grover's eyes widened in slits with fear. "We're almost there! You need to carry her! Please!"

Thalia started glancing around nervously, causing Phaedra to look up at her. The monsters' roars let them know they were gaining on them. Phaedra watched as Luke carefully put one arm underneath Annabeth’s arm and Grover did the same to the other side as they pulled her to her feet. Thalia's grip on Phaedra tightened. Annabeth tried to stop her screams as she was in terrible pain.

"They're getting closer!" Annabeth yelled as she was wobbling in between the satyr and demigod.

"Come on, we can make it!" Grover yelled.

"We won't make it." Thalia said. "It's too far"

"Yes we can." Luke told Thalia firmly. Thalia's grip on Phaedra loosened, causing her to hold on tighter. She looked up at the girl. She seemed lost in her thoughts. Her eyebrows creased over her eyes as they furrowed. She glanced back again and sighed as she looked at the seven year old. She cupped her face and looked her in the eyes.

"I need you to stay with Luke, ok? Phaedra, I need you to listen to him. And whatever you do, don't follow me. OK? You will be safe with him, Star." She started to cry because she didn't want to let go of Thalia at all.

Thalia wiped away her tears. "Promise me that you won't follow me. Promise that you'll stay and listen to Luke and Grover. Please, I need you to be safe."

She hesitated. "I Promise…" Thalia smiled and stood up "you'll be safe. You're like my little sister. You'll always be my little sister. Stay friends with Annabeth and you'll make new ones too. I love you, Star."

Phaedra sniffled and said "I love you too, Lia." And hugged her.

Thalia turned to face the direction of the monsters "you guys go! I'll hold them off!"