Chapter 8

I was supposed to update Waking the Fae but I got the idea for this chapter and I had to write it.

Unedited, like every other chapter. 

New charcter. *squeal* I hope you like him. I was looking at my brother when I named him. Lol.

Enjoy...

_____________________________________

Two days later, they finally let me leave the hospital. In those two days, I’d called Rick and reassured him I was fine. The tears I’d heard over the phone had broken my heart. But now he knew I was fine and he wasn’t scared anymore. Granted, I’d had to tell a thousand times—and that wasn’t even exaggerating—but eventually, his tears had stopped. The “I miss you” had been the hardest to hear.

“What’s taking them so long?” dad asks impatiently, pacing the hospital room.

“They have to fill out paperwork—you know all this.”

Dad shakes his head. “It’s taking too long. I want out of here.”

“And you think I don’t?” I chime in from where I sit on the bed. “I’m the one who just almost died.”

The words are meant as a joke, but neither of them smile.

I frown. “I’m joking,” I say, smiling.

Dad doesn’t say anything but he doesn’t have to. The nod at mum and the look he gives me is all I need. Mum can’t handle jokes about my dead—she hadn’t before, but especially not now. I have a suspicion dad cant either. Unlike mum, though, he’ll keep it to himself if it bothers him.

I nod to him; a promise. My way to get out of the depressing life I live, is to have humour. But that doesn’t apply to mum or dad and I know I can’t do it.

Appeased, dad just goes back to pacing. “If this doctor screws us around again, I’m going to lose it. He’s a chauvinistic ass—”

“Adam, don’t swear,” mum snaps.

I roll my eyes. I’m sixteen years old and they still don’t want me to hear swearing. Like I haven’t been exposed to enough horrors throughout my life. Swearing is nothing compared to what I’ve experienced.

“Okay. I’ll stop,” dad says, not even sounding a little apologetic. “He deserves worse—and trust me, I’ve got some colourful words in my head right now.”

Mum laughs, but there’s sadness in the laugh. I don’t blame her—after the past few days she can be as sad as she wants to be. I just don’t want to see her cry; that’s what I can’t handle.

Dad smiles at mum. “Admit it, honey.”

“Fine. Yes, he deserves to be called all the names in the book. But I’m not going to do it. I’m taking the high road. You should to. He did save our daughters life.”

Dad raises an eyebrow. “He saves her life?” he asks incredulously. “You’re kidding, right? He raced in here and had to nerve to stab her with a needle—”

“Dad.”

When he looks over, I shake my head. Mum doesn’t know about the incident where they put me under again for waking up. She still thinks she’d dreamed that moment where I’d held her until she cried herself to sleep. I want to keep it that way.

When he nods, I see the promise in his eyes. The truth will come out eventually but not now. Not when she’s so emotionally vulnerable.

“Why are they taking forever?” mum complains.