Chapter 14

This took a lot longer to write than normal becuase I had to catch the rigth emotions. I hope I succeeded. Tell me if the emotions are all wrong and I'll see what I can do.

Keep in mind though, this will probably be re-written when I finish it.

Unedited.

_____________________________

Outside the door I knock gently, waiting to be called in. whilst readying myself. I have no idea what I’ll find on the other side of the door—I’m not even sure I want to know. Too late now.

“Yes?” I hear from the other side and I can’t tell what the emotion in the principal’s voice is. Fear? Anger? Probably both.

“It’s Alyson. I was called in—”

“Come in, honey,” mum yells back, thinly veiled anger in her voice.

With a sigh I follow her orders, pushing the door open. It squeaks loudly, and if they weren’t looking this way they are now. Great.

Chaos greets me the minute I step through and I have to stop to take it all in. And there’s a lot to take in. The principal is frazzled—and quite terrified—, something I’ve never seen before. It doesn’t take me long to figure out why. Mum is leaning over the desk, expression so fierce it scares me for a second. In all my life I’ve never seen her as mad as she is now. Mum doesn’t get mad. She’s either the most level-headed person around or she’s in tears.

“Ally,” dad says, waving me over to him. I walk over, standing by the seat. Of all the people in the room, did is by far the calmest. I can see him cast worried glances over at mum, and a glare in his eyes but he’s not shouting. He doesn’t need to shout. In his uniform he look more intimidating than anyone in the room, without even trying.

“What’s going on?” I whisper, watching as mum continues to glare at the principal.

Dad pulls me onto his lap and I sit without complaint, leaning against his shoulder. “Nothing and yet somehow it’s escalated to this,” he says, waving his hand in the direction of the two people attacking each other verbally. “Your mother just snapped. Though I can’t say her reaction isn’t warranted. If I wasn’t the mediator right now, I’d be the same.”

I look over, just in time to see the principal stare at dad, fear evident in his expression. I follow his line of sight to the gun in dad’s waistband. “Uh, dad, he’s terrified of you.”

Dad raises an eyebrow. “I’m not the one screaming at him. I’d be more scared of your mother if I were him.”

“You have a gun.”

Dad just rolls his eyes. “What? Does he think I’m going to use it? That defeats the purpose of being a cop.” He pauses, just staring down at me. I smile back, still watching the disaster out of the corner of my eye. “How’s Rick?”

“Fine. He’s off in his own world—”

“Excuse you?” mum snaps, voice bothering on hysterical. “None of this is your fault? Get a clue.”

Dad stands, gently pushing me off him. I stand next to him as he kisses my forehead. “Time to mediate. Before this situation gets worse.”

Too little, too late.

Dad seems to catch the look on my face. “Worse than it is already.” He nods to his chair. “Sit. I don’t want to put any strain on your lung.”

I sit, even though standing won’t strain it at all.

“Mrs Adams, you’re out of line. You are unaware of what took place on the day. For all you know, your daughter could have lied to you,” the principal says and I watch mum’s face go cold.