Chapter 13

I haven't update in a while! I'm sorry! I had two tests to study for and I think I failed them anyway. School :(

Anyway, here's an update! Hope you like it!

_______________________________________

“Go and take Rick somewhere he can play his game,” dad says, the minute we exit the car.

Unable to help myself, I point to the DS in Rick’s hand. “DS, dad, not game.”

He smiles at me, winking. “I don’t know these things. I’m a cop.”

And right now it’s hard to miss it. He’d picked up Rick from work, not bothering to change. In his uniform he doesn’t look anything different than what he is—my dad—but I’ve seen people freak out on the streets at the sight of the uniform. It’s going to happen when we walk into school. I know that for sure. “Can you at least get rid of the gun? You’re going to scare everyone.”

He shakes his head at me, kissing my forehead. “Sorry, no can do. We have to have them with us when we’re in uniform. Besides, a little fear won’t kill anyone.”

But cancer will, I think before I can stop myself. To hide the reaction, I laugh—a fake sound even to my own ears. “Whatever you say dad.” Absentmindedly my eye stray to mum, who’s fixing her pants, glaring at anything and everything. Even the bin isn’t safe. “I don’t think you need it. Mum could take on a whole army right now.”

He sighs sadly, staring worriedly at mum, who seems to get angrier by the second. “Yeah, she could. I’ll be glad when this is over. You don’t need anything else to worry about.”

He doesn’t say what he wants to, but I understand him anyway: You have less than a year left to live. You don’t need any more problems.

Dad stares at me and I can see in his expression that he knows where my thoughts are at. Of course he does, I think. He always knows what I’m thinking. He opens his mouth to say something but Rick beats him to it.

“What are we doing?” Rick asks, shutting the car door with a bang, DS in hand.

“Don’t slam the door, Richard,” Dad says, attention off me even though I can still feel his concern.

Rick whines wordlessly, glaring at dad.

I roll my eyes. Dad has the same reaction. “Rick, don’t whine at me. You’re ten, not five.”

“But dad—”

Dad simply shakes his head, looking towards the entrance of the school. Taking the hint, I hold my hand out for Rick. Being the too-old-for-affection child that he is, he just swipes it away. Putting my arm around his shoulder, I lead him into the building, nostalgia setting in. This will be the last time I enter the same. The last time I enter any school. Mum hasn’t told me she’s pulling me out, but I can already tell that it’s going to happen. She won’t risk it anymore.