chapter 5

chapter 5 - HEIGHTS

From Bishop's front steps, Grace watched as his car pulled up with Heather riding in the passenger seat

From Bishop's front steps, Grace watched as his car pulled up with Heather riding in the passenger seat. She sat beside Natalie who was still very mad at Heather, though Grace did not have as strong feelings.

Heather and Bishop walked up to the front steps while Natalie remained stoic, staring at the two of them. Grace wished desperately that Heather and Natalie could work out their issues and that all would be solved.

"All right," Bishop started, addressing the three girls, "remember the court rules: no cursing, spitting, hitting or crying because I think I ran out of tissues." The tension between the girls was still strong though as Natalie did not seem happy to try and work out any problems.

"Can you just... Can you just give us a second?" Heather asked Bishop, wanting to leave it to just the girls to figure out their issues. Grace gave Bishop a small nod when he looked to her and she mouthed a small "I'll mediate."

Bishop turned back to Heather and said, "Yeah, yeah, happily, yeah," and he quickly headed into the house.

"Can we go talk over there?" Heather quickly questioned while gesturing to the porch behind Natalie and Grace.

"Fine," Natalie stated harshly, while Grace just gave a simple nod and slight smile to Heather. Grace really didn't blame the girl for anything that happened the night before. Heather seemed really concerned and seriously hopeless when the girls had talked on the beach. Grace knew Heather would have a very valid reason for playing Panic and not telling the girls in advance.

As they all walked over to the furniture on Bishop's porch, Natalie immediately sat in the middle of the small couch to ensure no one would sit next to her. When Heather sat in the only other chair, Grace opted for the floor between the two pieces.

After a quick moment of silence, Natalie aggressively asked, "So?" looking for an answer from Heather about the previous night's events.

"My mom took my money for school," Heather began with a sigh.

"What do you mean she took it?" Grace asked, concerned for her friend.

"Her car needed a new transmission," Heather explained. "Guess she thought I owed it to her for freeloading, like, toilet paper and food and stuff." The girl finished sadly, looking down at her feet.

"How much?" questioned Natalie, still trying to figure out her opinion givin the new information.

"$5,460," answered Heather. Grace's eyes widened as she realized that that was almost enough money for Heather to take the college class she wanted. "She left a few bucks in spare change, though," Heather finished sarcastically with a small frown.

Grace, feeling deeply sorry for the girl, placed a comforting hand on her knee, while Natalie responded, "I wish you'd told me."

"I didn't really have a chance to," Heather explained. "I didn't learn about it until after you guys had left for the Jump and when I found out it was like I couldn't even think. It was like I had a hand around my throat. It was like I couldn't even talk about it." Heather paused for a long moment, letting her loss sink in yet again. She started again saying, "I'm sorry, Nat, and you too Grace. I never meant to compete against you guys."