chapter 22

chapter 22 - DEAD-END

☀︎☀︎

The rumble of the dozens of cars' engines shook the ground all the way up Grace's spine.

"Racers, start your engines," the announcer's voice rang through the outdated sound system and across the metal stands. "Get ready, get set, go!" Grace continued to watch as the cars began to race around the dirt arena, the wheels spinning and the loud roar filling her ears. The Demolition Derby was in full swing as she reached across Heather to pick at her Frito Pie, the crowd's cheers filling the open space.

"People say there's a challenge coming tonight," Natalie spoke from the other side of Heather. Her voice was just loud enough for the two to hear, with the secrecy of the game becoming more and more important. Grace shook her head slowly as Heather sarcastically responded, "It's like you said. The game always goes on."

"Well, the game feels different, though. Doesn't it?" Nat pointed out. "It's not just the cops. It's..."

"It's like it's not a game," Grace said. The other girls made sounds of agreement. With the close calls at Spurlock's and the very serious fire at Graybill's, it was getting harder to ignore the very real and present dangers that came along with Panic. Everyone was playing for something and everyone was taking it very seriously, even if they didn't show it.

"We can still be teammates, though, right?" voiced Heather, somewhat timidly. She looked to the girls on both sides of her expectantly.

"Partners," Natalie promised as Grace squeezed the girl's hand in agreement. "Win or lose, it's together." Heather nodded in acknowledgment, the tension from any previous arguments the girls had dissipating.

"Do you remember the, uh, list that I found at Spurlock's?" Grace and Natalie hummed in response to Heather's question, still picking at their fair snacks and waiting to hear what prompted the thought. "I don't think it's a list of the players, I think it's a list of odds."

"What do you mean?" asked Nat.

"I think someone is betting on Panic. Someone who was there with us that night." The girls took a moment to process the statement. It was simply another way the game was only growing larger, with more people involved and more riding on their performances than meets the eye. Before another comment could be made though, the loud sounds from the demo derby drew their attention.

There was a large crash in the middle of the arena, immobilizing many of the cars. Clouds of dirt were rising from the crash and at the center of it, was Ray Hall with the largest smile plastered across his face. "Number 13 almost got 12 there." The announcer's voice could be heard again as the squeal of tires matched the cars' fast motions.

"I think Dodge is 12," Nat observed.

"And Ray is 13," mumbled Grace. She watched the green car zip around the dirt pen with Ray's almost maniacal laughs just barely being heard over the engine roars.