chapter 25

chapter 25 - TRUST

☀︎☀︎

Grace stared off through the window, the trees and scenery zooming by but barely visible through the darkness. It was later now than when she and Ray drove to the challenge, but it was getting to be lighter, the sun beginning to peak behind the trees on the horizon.

Everything after Grace's challenge had been a blur; getting off the bridge, taking the van back to the rest stop, and getting back into Ray's truck. The girl barely spoke a word to anyone, but it seemed like many of the other contestants were doing the same, staying in their own worlds as everyone was still reeling.

Now Grace sat beside Ray who was driving the pair back into town. The way that he happily tapped his fingers against the steering wheel told Grace that he was in a good mood, but she could tell he was playing it down for her because of her dejected demeanor.

The knots in Grace's stomach hadn't dissipated after the challenge. If anything they had tightened now that she was sitting beside Ray due to her realization not an hour before. Still, she turned her head to him while tucking her knees to her chin.

"Did you get it?" she mumbled across the truck. Ray's eyes flicked toward her quickly, not expecting her to speak as she hadn't the whole ride. He hummed questioningly in response, but Grace could tell that he heard what she said.

"Did you finish? Are you moving on?" Her voice was louder this time and she tried to convey how genuine she was in asking the question. She watched as the corners of Ray's lips slowly turned upwards to a smile.

"Final four baby," he spoke, not too loudly but with his classic cockiness. Despite still feeling defeated, she couldn't help but smile at him. He turned to her then, his smile falling as he looked at her with pity. "What about you?"

Grace gave a weak smile, but turned her head back to the window, letting her silence be the answer. She couldn't believe that she was out of the game.

It wasn't like she was convinced that she could win, especially when she started. The first few challenges were terrifying for her. But after she made it through them, she started to believe that she could do it. She'd already done some of the scariest things in her life, so what were a few more challenges? She never had full confidence, but being eliminated so quickly was jarring. Her whole reality, the hopes she had, blew up in front of her.

The idea of winning the money was gone and so were Grace's plans for her future.  She couldn't go to Nashville now, she had no shot of getting her foot in the door and making an attempt at her dream career. She'd been given a spot on the waitlist at Belmont University for their music program, but even if it was given to her now, she couldn't afford it on the bit of money she'd saved herself. It was always a long shot, the Panic money was never guaranteed, but now it was really gone.