chapter 7

chapter 7 - HEIGHTS

☀︎☀︎

The large crowd had gathered at the granary for the second challenge. Grace stood with Natalie and Heather who were also anxious for whatever the next dangerous activity they would have to do was. After cheers from the large crowd, Diggins began to introduce the challenge: "Alright, boys and girls, chicks and dicks, Ray, welcome to challenge numero dos - Walk the Plank." Diggins' announcement was met with large cheers from the crowd.

"And reminder, we have 24 players in competition. All players receive 100 points for joining except for Dodge Mason and Grace Langely, who each get an extra 25..." There was a mixture of cheers and boos from the crowd. Some were unhappy with Dodge, an outsider, having extra points while others were excited for Grace to be close to the top, especially two of her best friends standing next to her.

"Where is Dodge?" Natalie asked the girls around her, scanning the large group for the boy. "I don't see him. Maybe he missed the sign."

"That's good news," Heather replied, happy for the three girls. Dodge was one of the few leaders, and if he ended up not showing that put the girls at an advantage.

Diggings continued his announcement saying, "...and Heather Nill, who gets an extra 50 points and immunity in a challenge of her choice." Heather also received some cheers from the crowd for her score which left her currently in first place. Grace gave the girl a small nudge and a smile to show her support. 

"He's here," Natalie stated as she watched Dodge walking through the crowd. Grace slightly frowned now that one of her strongest competitors had ended up showing after all. "Maybe I should go say hi."

"Hey, no fraternizing with the enemy, okay?" Grace teased, now more aware of Natalie's slight crush.

"Fraternizing is how we find the enemy's weak spots," the girl argued, not too concerned that Dodge was to be her enemy in Panic.

After Diggins introduced Summer Calvo to the crowd he began to explain the night's challenge more in-depth, saying, "Tonight, points work by deduction. The slower you are, more points you lose. You got 90 seconds to cross before you are in the red and out of the game."

Grace took a deep breath, not terribly confident in her abilities. She was never terrified of heights but they certainly didn't comfort her. She could ride a ferris wheel without a freakout but when it came to crossing an unstable beam with no rails, hundreds of feet in the air, and in a timely manner, she had doubts.

"And now, in no particular order..." Diggins said to begin the challenge and was met with Summer calling for a drumroll. As the crowd cheered, clapped, and stopped their feet, Summer reached into the trophy and pulled out a slip of paper with the name "Drew Santiago!"

When Diggins had called his name, Drew took a longer sip of his beer and walked towards the tall ladder, and the second challenge had begun.

Bishop had joined the three girls after his conversation with Leela, which Heather seemed unhappy about. After a handful of people had successfully crossed the plank, Grace was left feeling nervous for her turn and hoping that she was able to secure a fast time.

It came to Ray's turn, and as he paused in the middle of the narrow beam to show off for the crowd, Grace rolled her eyes. When he reached the end of the beam, Diggins announced that he had the fastest time of the night so far, which Ray and the crowd responded to with loud cheers.