Act 0, Part 4: The City of Freedom

Mondstadt Region, Teyvat

"May the Anemo God protect you, stranger!" The strange girl who suddenly rolled to a stop exclaimed, a hand to her heart as she flashed (Y/N) and Paimon a bright smile.

"Uh...you are...?" (Y/N) deadpanned, Paimon looking curiously between the two.

"Oh, right! I am Amber, Outrider for the Knights of Favonius." The red-dressed girl smiled, posing in a salute as she introduced herself.

"Right. Nice to meet you, Amber." (Y/N) smiled, Paimon flying around him with a grin as Amber looked on at the two.

"Strange. You two don't look like citizens of Mondstadt...although you're not necessarily causing any trouble...uhh...explain yourselves!" Amber suddenly seemed to mutter, before pointing at the two suspiciously as (Y/N) chuckled. Neither of them exactly fit in...then again, neither did Amber look like the people he'd seen before, granted he only had a few scarce interactions with others.

"Um, we're not looking for trouble!" Paimon hastily raised her hands in surrender, only for Amber's gaze to intensify.

"That's what a troublemaker would say." Amber pressured, Paimon giving a nervous smile.

"She's got you there." (Y/N) deadpanned, Amber nodding in return, though she also cast him a suspicious glance.

"Hm...just who are you two exactly? I haven't seen you around here before." Amber asked, a genuine curious tone in her voice instead of the faux authoritative one she had been using prior.

"Right. I'm (Y/N), nice to meet you, Amber." (Y/N) smiled, Amber returning the smile, though she continued shortly after.

"It doesn't sound like a local name to me, but I suppose that is bound to happen considering all the other oddities around you. Right, and this...mascot? What is it?" Amber turned towards Paimon curiously, an offended look on Paimon's face.

"Emergency food. Or a friend. Depends on the situation." (Y/N) spoke flatly, Paimon smacking him on the head, a tick mark on her face.

"What is that supposed to mean?! Paimon is not emergency food, nor is Paimon a mascot!" Paimon stuck her tongue out at the two, (Y/N) chuckling as Amber smiled at the two's interactions.

"I think I get it. You're both traveling partners, right?" Amber summed up, both (Y/N) and Paimon nodding in return at her words.

"Hm...fine, I'll set aside your oddities for now. Look, there's been a large Dragon sighted around Mondstadt recently. It's best if you make your way to the City as soon as possible. Hm..." Amber spoke, before crossing her arms beneath her modest chest, placing a hand to her chin in thought.

"I'll tell you what, the entrance to the city isn't far from here. Alright! I'll personally escort you to Mondstadt." Amber smiled at the two, once more placing her clasped hand over her heart.

"Oh? But aren't you out here for some other reason?" Paimon questioned curiously, (Y/N) nodding in agreement with her reasoning.

"You called yourself...an Outrider, right? Don't you have a mission to do? Not trying to sound ungrateful or anything..." (Y/N) reasoned, Amber humming in thought, though her smile didn't fade.