Chapter Twenty: New Beginnings

When we got back to Maine, we decided to wait for a bit before announcing our engagement to my human side of things.

Mom, Dad, and Grandpa were excited, but not as much as Molly, Evelyn, and Sarah. Evelyn was ecstatic to get a new big brother, and Molly was thrilled to help plan another wedding. The woman had a death wish.

Christie and Rita bandwagoned off of Sarah's excitement as always, and Tracie asked for exact details on when Andrei popped the question. I fudged the details there a bit, but it apparently sufficed for her. Andy popped in to the phone call to give his congratulations, and each of my aunts and uncles called after the engagement announcement I mailed out arrived.

I knew my mother would kill me if we eloped, so instead of ditching the ceremony, a few months later over summer break, we had a simple wedding in the backyard of the lighthouse with Andrei's klan, my family and a few of my friends from college as guests.

Mom, Molly, and Evelyn flew out super early--with Dad and James in tow, of course--to help make most of the food. I'd opted for a two-layer, homemade cake with simple white frosting, and absolutely no fondant in sight.

I chose a simple, tea length dress. With cap sleeves, white satin, and an a-line vintage cut, I felt a little like a 50's movie star. Finishing it off with a bright red lipstick, I left a kiss mark or two on Andrei's cheek during the post-wedding photo shoot.

There might have even been a smudge of it on his own lips before the wedding even started.

Who knows? I definitely wouldn't.

The biggest chunk of our budget was spent on the photographer and videographer. When Andrei questioned this decision, I stated,

"I may grow old and fat, and never fit into my wedding dress again, but these pictures will last forever!" He never argued the point after that. In fact, the cad actually seemed intrigued by my future elderly, rotund state. He got a good smack in the arm for that one.

After the wedding, we both took a vacation from work: me from my advertising job, and him from taking carpentry orders. We didn't take a honeymoon like Molly and James had. Instead, we just relaxed at the lighthouse and went out to eat instead of eating at home like we normally did. It was more of a stay-cation, really.

All in all, the best day and following week ever.